Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
281 - 300 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Verified CTR JDM price! I posted an image of the sales order form off the Civic forums which supposedly came from. Japanese member who ordered the car which listed the piece of the CTR right at $5 million yen. Here a video of a different Japanese individual who placed an order on the CTR showing the same price. So basically confirmed the JDM CTR is priced at 5 million yen. Now I don't know how that will translate to USDM pricing, which in turn will give us a much better idea of GRC Core w/PP pricing. But apparently according to the Civic forums, the new CTR is roughly 5% more expensive than the outgoing "base" CTR and 500,000 yen cheaper than the outgoing LE model.
So, with quick math we can "guestimate" the price for the USDM CTR. 2020 non LE model had a MSRP of approx. $38k. 5% on top of $38k equals right under $40k, $39,900 to be exact.
So maybe what Honda said about keeping the new CTR under $40k actually does have some truth to it.
This is GREAT news for prospective GRC owners. The Core w/ PP should be the trim that competes best with the CTR, and Toyota will want to undercut the CTR by just a bit. I'm guessing $1k under the CTR MSRP will be the sweet spot.
So I'm calling it now, GRC Core w/PP will be no more than $39k MSRP. CE will be $5k more, so right at $44k, which also slightly undercuts the Golf R.

This sounds pretty close to me. The supra 2.0 msrp is $43k. I think they'll eventually take away the 2.0 from the US market due to sales. I do think Toyota does surprise with pricing so we'll see. Based on materials in the car, I could see the CE being $40k and the loaded core being $35k. If they price it too high, people might skip out on buying because at the end of the day, it's just a Corolla.

·
Super Moderator
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
This sounds pretty close to me. The supra 2.0 msrp is $43k. I think they'll eventually take away the 2.0 from the US market due to sales. I do think Toyota does surprise with pricing so we'll see. Based on materials in the car, I could see the CE being $40k and the loaded core being $35k. If they price it too high, people might skip out on buying because at the end of the day, it's just a Corolla.
Why would a loaded core be 35k when mechanically it’s the same car as the CE, but the CE is limited. Lol. Makes no sense. Keep this in mind the Core loaded is the GR Corolla, other 2 are limited models. Like a Type R LE, Type RA etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is GREAT news for prospective GRC owners. The Core w/ PP should be the trim that competes best with the CTR, and Toyota will want to undercut the CTR by just a bit. I'm guessing $1k under the CTR MSRP will be the sweet spot.
So I'm calling it now, GRC Core w/PP will be no more than $39k MSRP. CE will be $5k more, so right at $44k, which also slightly undercuts the Golf R.
I disagree (not saying I'll be correct). The Core is almost a dead ringer of a competitor for the Subaru WRX. Therefore its pricing should be very similar. The GRC CE is certainly a bit fancier, so that kind of equates to WRX STI pricing, but when you back out the cost due to different powertrains (referring to Subaru) you would assume the GRC CE to not command the same premium that the STI did over the WRX (I say did since the STI is dead and the new WRX is crap). We all knew, on paper, that the CTR (be it 10th gen or 11th gen) would be ultimately (under the right conditions) faster owing to higher power output and lower weight.

I don't really see any way for Toyota to justify the CE to cost more than a CTR, or a Golf R for that matter. In my eyes at least, it's clearly marketed towards a lower price point. That is to say nothing of pricing overlap with the Supra (yes I realize they're drastically different vehicles but some people will cross shop).

And in general I think comments about drag racing are hilarious because neither of these cars is optimally designed for such, and also because I know 95% of the posters here won't even bother going to a drag strip, lol.:ROFLMAO:

·
Banned
940 Posts
I disagree (not saying I'll be correct). The Core is almost a dead ringer of a competitor for the Subaru WRX. Therefore its pricing should be very similar. The GRC CE is certainly a bit fancier, so that kind of equates to WRX STI pricing, but when you back out the cost due to different powertrains (referring to Subaru) you would assume the GRC CE to not command the same premium that the STI did over the WRX (I say did since the STI is dead and the new WRX is crap). We all knew, on paper, that the CTR (be it 10th gen or 11th gen) would be ultimately (under the right conditions) faster owing to higher power output and lower weight.

I don't really see any way for Toyota to justify the CE to cost more than a CTR, or a Golf R for that matter. In my eyes at least, it's clearly marketed towards a lower price point. That is to say nothing of pricing overlap with the Supra (yes I realize they're drastically different vehicles but some people will cross shop).

And in general I think comments about drag racing are hilarious because neither of these cars is optimally designed for such, and also because I know 95% of the posters here won't even bother going to a drag strip, lol.:ROFLMAO:
We will just agree to disagree. Don't forget the CE is an extremely limited production run, so that plays into the increase in price as well. The CTR nor the Golf R are or will be considered limited edition vehicles. I think you are right to an extent about the GRC competing with the WRX, but that would be a bare bones core GRC w/out options and open diffs. A nicely equipped WRX is what like $35kish? That's about what a core GRC is rumored to cost anyway. But a core w/PP or fully loaded core competes with the CTR without a doubt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I understand your point about the CE being a limited run, but there's really nothing (at all) special about it except for the roof (and even less so, the hood). I also think it's fair to assume that for 2024 there will be another "limited edition" model run. If it had the powertrain of the Mizuno then I'd fully agree.

·
Super Moderator
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
We will just agree to disagree. Don't forget the CE is an extremely limited production run, so that plays into the increase in price as well. The CTR nor the Golf R are or will be considered limited edition vehicles. I think you are right to an extent about the GRC competing with the WRX, but that would be a bare bones core GRC w/out options and open diffs. A nicely equipped WRX is what like $35kish? That's about what a core GRC is rumored to cost anyway. But a core w/PP or fully loaded core competes with the CTR without a doubt.
Spot on. Everyone thinking the CE is this top trim GR Corolla is all from Toyota’s weird marketing strategy. Constant advertisement on that model only with the JDM version being their standard model. Core is specifically made for North America.

·
Super Moderator
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
I understand your point about the CE being a limited run, but there's really nothing (at all) special about it except for the roof (and even less so, the hood). I also think it's fair to assume that for 2024 there will be another "limited edition" model run. If it had the powertrain of the Mizuno then I'd fully agree.
But that’s the point, it’s not the standard car is what he’s saying. They fetch a premium only because they’re making a few. It’s a LE equivalent.

Toyota already told people at the reveal that the GRC with LSDs is suppose to be in the Type R/STI range btw.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My primary motivation to get a CE is because I assume that the Core with all optional packages will end up costing just as much (and, obviously, still miss many features). My hopes are that the CE is going to be like what Porsche does with their GTS models. Which is most performance goodies standard, as well as a few little exclusive touches (almost always cosmetic only) all for a price that's below the less model + options. If the Core with all 3 packages costs significantly less (by that I mean 4 figures less) then, in my eyes at least, the attraction of a CE is reduced a bit.

Honestly other than it having a CF roof, what really is the exclusivity to the CE? 🦄 It has the same powertrain, suspension tuning and brakes as the Core. I'm of the mind that just because an automaker dictates that a few (almost entirely cosmetic) items are "limited" who cares. Put a blindfold on someone and they won't be able to tell the difference from behind the wheel. Seems like a false economy.

Anyway, just realizing again that this a CTR thread. I've helped things go off on a tangent. Apologies.

·
Super Moderator
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
My primary motivation to get a CE is because I assume that the Core with all optional packages will end up costing just as much (and, obviously, still miss many features). My hopes are that the CE is going to be like what Porsche does with their GTS models. Which is most performance goodies standard, as well as a few little exclusive touches (almost always cosmetic only) all for a price that's below the less model + options. If the Core with all 3 packages costs significantly less (by that I mean 4 figures less) then, in my eyes at least, the attraction of a CE is reduced a bit.

Honestly other than it having a CF roof, what really is the exclusivity to the CE? 🦄 It has the same powertrain, suspension tuning and brakes as the Core. I'm of the mind that just because an automaker dictates that a few (almost entirely cosmetic) items are "limited" who cares. Put a blindfold on someone and they won't be able to tell the difference from behind the wheel. Seems like a false economy.

Anyway, just realizing again that this a CTR thread. I've helped things go off on a tangent. Apologies.
You’re good man, it’s GRC Forum. We like these talks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why would a loaded core be 35k when mechanically it’s the same car as the CE, but the CE is limited. Lol. Makes no sense. Keep this in mind the Core loaded is the GR Corolla, other 2 are limited models. Like a Type R LE, Type RA etc.
Special editions always cost more. The Hakone green gt86 was almost $3k more than the base and it only had different color paint and wheels. Why would you expect there to not be a bigger difference between Core and CE? I would say the CF roof would cost more than a paint job for the car + wheels.

EDIT:

I also believe the CTR LE was $6k more than the Touring and it basically is the difference between Circuit and Morizo.

My predictions stand as:
$30k base Core
$35k fully loaded Core
$38-40k Circuit
$45k Morizo

For reference:
2021 CTR Touring - $38k
2021 CTR LE - $44k

·
Super Moderator
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Special editions always cost more. The Hakone green gt86 was almost $3k more than the base and it only had different color paint and wheels. Why would you expect there to not be a bigger difference between Core and CE? I would say the CF roof would cost more than a paint job for the car + wheels.

EDIT:

I also believe the CTR LE was $6k more than the Touring and it basically is the difference between Circuit and Morizo.

My predictions stand as:
$30k base Core
$35k fully loaded Core
$38-40k Circuit
$45k Morizo

For reference:
2021 CTR Touring - $38k
2021 CTR LE - $44k
The Core with LSDs was benchmarked against the STI, so that’s pretty off as far as what it is already.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Core with LSDs was benchmarked against the STI, so that’s pretty off as far as what it is already.
Not sure how that's off. 2021 STi MSRP was about $37k. Let's just add plus/minus $2k to all my predictions and we're within range of all the competitors (including the lowest trim of the CTR). As for the CTR, I'm assuming it'll end up around $38-$40k

·
Registered
266 Posts

The CE will have all the packages the core CAN get, + CF roof, + vented hood, +special wing, + alcantera interior, + gloss black valences so it definitely comes with more than a regular core with all available packages.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Not sure how that's off. 2021 STi MSRP was about $37k. Let's just add plus/minus $2k to all my predictions and we're within range of all the competitors (including the lowest trim of the CTR). As for the CTR, I'm assuming it'll end up around $38-$40k
Even the core has power and drivetrain equivalent to the STI minus diffs, so if you add the diffs(estimate 3k) your prices are still pretty low. I would estimate your entire pricing scale is probably 4-5k too low as per previous discussions on pricing.

Also with overall production being so limited, I doubt they are trying to make it a steal of a deal as they want to keep it exclusive so it is not attainable for EVERYONE.

p.s. Keep it out of the hands of the vape kids.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The CE will have all the packages the core CAN get, + CF roof, + vented hood, +special wing, + alcantera interior, + gloss black valences so it definitely comes with more than a regular core with all available packages.
I mean I more or less said that, just with less detail. Also I HOPE we get the special wing, because isn't it looking like that's no longer happening??

·
Registered
76 Posts
p.s. Keep it out of the hands of the vape kids.
This only works for so long. Once they become more affordable at higher mileage, they fall into the hands of hacks. I experienced this with fox mustangs when I started getting into cars, and now it's happening to the focus ST. "How can we turn this into the loudest POS known to mankind?".

·
Registered
38 Posts
There's no reason for them to intentionally restrict production of these (other than to be complete d*cks). Supply chain issues alone will restrict availability of the the GRC for years. I mean, there are zero official "restrictions" in place (that I'm aware of) for the GR86 and those are quite difficult to find; and that car has been out for 8 months!

·
Super Moderator
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
There's no reason for them to intentionally restrict production of these (other than to be complete d*cks). Supply chain issues alone will restrict availability of the the GRC for years. I mean, there are zero official "restrictions" in place (that I'm aware of) for the GR86 and those are quite difficult to find; and that car has been out for 8 months!
Even if there wasn’t any supply chain issues we wouldn’t see GRCs regularly. That GR portion of the factory moves pretty slow and has fewer workers than a traditional line. When Toyota USA and Mike Tripp were saying they could produce more, that’s more of the US branch of Toyota doing it’s marketing thing.

The Subaru Gunma plant was closed down a lot during this year, with Subaru outright saying it affected their stock. The amount they say was sold and the amount of cars I see on the road don’t correlate though. 😂

This only works for so long. Once they become more affordable at higher mileage, they fall into the hands of hacks. I experienced this with fox mustangs when I started getting into cars, and now it's happening to the focus ST. "How can we turn this into the loudest POS known to mankind?".
Then again the Yaris used still goes for crazy money. This car and the Type R will probably hold its value enough to fend off kids 😂

·
Registered
144 Posts
Speaking of exclusivity, I actually quite like that the regular Corolla and Civic hatchbacks aren't sold in my country, because there are a lot of ricers here that are very eager to make fake versions of high performance cars that are based on regular cars, the amount of fake GTIs, fake M-cars, fake Type Rs and fake AMGs that are here will make you die from cringe.

281 - 300 of 327 Posts