Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which car will be quicker around the racetrack?
Since the last Type-R was a real weapon around the racetrack and set a number of track records for a FWD car, if I was a betting man I would bet that the new Type-R will end up being faster on track than the GR Corolla, unless it's an ice track 馃槈.
What are your thoughts?

Super Moderator
Which car will be quicker around the racetrack?
Since the last Type-R was a real weapon around the racetrack and set a number of track records for a FWD car, if I was a betting man I would bet that the new Type-R will end up being faster on track than the GR Corolla, unless it's an ice track 馃槈.
What are your thoughts?
Type R will most likely be quicker. But it kind of goes with the rivalry. Civic performance variants were pretty good out the box, owners of sporty Corolla variants modify them to compete on the track.

Registered
Suzuki GSXR750L7 Legacy 3.0R 6MT
The Type R will be much quicker, especially if the track has decent grip and its dry.

Im expecting the Hyundai i30N to be much quicker as well.

What I'm waiting for is the Toyota Dyno plot. What its going to show is peaky power and torque so even though its 300Hp its going to be narrow and down on torque. You simply are not going to beat a 2 litre 4 cylinder with this engine that also makes way more torque and the AWD makes it heavy.

The Type-R is a sub 8 min car on the Nurburgring, the GRC will not get close.

Super Moderator
It really depends on how well they update the new CTR. According to Throttle House, the GRC is faster around their track than the previous gen CTR, and that's with unfavorable track conditions. I'm not sure what the conditions of their CTR test were.

Reactions: Muffin

Registered
CTR if if it's dry/warm. Cold, rain, any inclement weather the GRC will stomp its guts out. You want an all weather car, GRC. You want a fair weather missile, CTR. You got options.
all else equal, i'm expecting FL5 will overall be better on track. Not to mention FL5 has better seats for track duty. The margin will be negligible to the point where an experienced driver in a GRC will be faster than a newbie in a FL5.

Speaking of track duty, any word on Toyota offering a complimentary 1 year NASA membership? They are definitely doing this with the GR86 and even the Supra in 2023.

Super Moderator
all else equal, i'm expecting FL5 will overall be better on track. Not to mention FL5 has better seats for track duty. The margin will be negligible to the point where an experienced driver in a GRC will be faster than a newbie in a FL5.

Speaking of track duty, any word on Toyota offering a complimentary 1 year NASA membership? They are definitely doing this with the GR86 and even the Supra in 2023.
Yes they offer it

Registered
Agree with you if it's dry and warm or hot. But we live in 4 seasons of weather in most places which why many of us here prefer AWD and the Corolla.

Registered
Gen 1 Audi R8 V10 gated manual. E46 M3 6MT. 2004 Highlander Limited AWD.
In Throttle House's review on the GRC, they clicked off a lap that was quicker than the previous gen FK CTR(by .2 sec) but you gotta figure the FL5 CTR will be significantly quicker with the improvements they made. CTR vs the Morizo on Cup 2's might be closer but Honda engineered such a weapon.

Registered
I think it's also worth noting the CTR will get 265s all round, while the GRC has 235s. Don't remember off the top of my head what tires will be on the civic though.

My biggest wish for all track comparisons is for them to have the same tires. Just seems pointless to say one car is faster while it has superior tires.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts