Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just confused about the Morizo signed shift knob. I thought his name was Akio Toyoda? Where does Morizo come into play?

Love the idea of a signed knob though. It's not much, but it's a nice detail!

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
363 Posts
Yup, go find that video linked in another thread that does a good job telling story of Gazoo Racing. Akio Toyoda started it as an unofficial racing team of Toyota cars, but they could not use Toyota name. Morizo is the alias he used when he was racing as Toyota execs did not look favorably upon the President of Toyota driving race cars.
With the success of GR, its now a badge of honor!

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
I was just confused about the Morizo signed shift knob. I thought his name was Akio Toyoda? Where does Morizo come into play?

Love the idea of a signed knob though. It's not much, but it's a nice detail!
Long story short: Toyota didn't like the thought of an exec being involved in a dangerous sport so Akio used an alias to race with Gazoo

·
Super Moderator
409 Posts
Long story short: Toyota didn't like the thought of an exec being involved in a dangerous sport so Akio used an alias to race with Gazoo
Which is the coolest thing I can think of an executive doing in a long time, let's be honest. Especially at his age. Dude's 65. Which means he started all this crap at 59.

Reactions: underscore

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
Which is the coolest thing I can think of an executive doing in a long time, let's be honest. Especially at his age. Dude's 65. Which means he started all this crap at 59.
Actually, since GR started in 2007 with Akio, 15 years ago, he was 50 when he started. Still impressive especially with him doing stuff now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts