Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I've mostly been just watching and reading the threads on here, but had a question that I thought I'd ask about!

I'm currently dealing with trying to find the source of some oily film in my DD 2012 X5 35d charge pipe and it got me thinking about catch cans and how I probably should have installed one 100k miles ago on the X5.

Do you all plan on installing an oil catch can after the CCV/PCV line right away in the GRC? Why would you/would you not? Just curious as I am trying to learn more and more every day.

·
Registered
x_posts
Personally I found it a waste if time even on my old MR2 Turbo. I fitted a full on SMC large airline filter that took out everything and after a year or so pulled it out as it was doing nothing. Any significant oil in the intake comes from worn turbo seals. If you run a top quality synthetic oil from new and change it on a regular basis the engine internals stay clean and the factory recovery system works well enough.

·
Super Moderator
x_posts
I really really depends on the engine. I haven't done any research on OCCs on the GRY (the only car with this engine), but I know my 2.0 Ecoboost from Ford has some serious blow-by straight from the factory, which helps contribute to gunk building up on the valves (direct injection only) and all the other things blowby can cause.

I installed an OCC on my focus at 100k miles. I'm currently at 104k, and decided to check the can. It's definitely doing it's job.

Reactions: ccrook06

·
Registered
x_posts
It's a FORD say no more. Let's try and stick to Toyota's.

Direct injection only is a bad idea. Decent engines have gone both port and direct for a number of reasons.

·
Super Moderator
x_posts
It's a FORD say no more. Let's try and stick to Toyota's.

Direct injection only is a bad idea. Decent engines have gone both port and direct for a number of reasons.
My point wasn't ford vs toyota or any other brand. My points is solely to say it depends heavily on the engine. And yes, DI only does suck. Almost all performance cars (and most turbo'd cars) have moved to dual injection for good reasons, like you said.

Also, hate on it all you want, these 2.0s can take an absolute beating. Lots of folks on the forums with 200k+ miles that drive these things like bats outta hell with no issues. Like most cars, regular maintenance is the secret to long lasting engines. But I don't want to turn this thread into a car pissing battle.

·
Super Moderator
x_posts
Based on some very basic research on the GRY forums, it seems they do catch oil, but only a tiiiiny amount. Basically, money is better spent elsewhere, unless you just want it looks under the hood looks

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 2022 GR Supra, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
x_posts
Based on some very basic research on the GRY forums, it seems they do catch oil, but only a tiiiiny amount. Basically, money is better spent elsewhere, unless you just want it looks under the hood looks
Good to know, I'd probably only look that direction if I was tracking the car regularly. Even with small amounts of oil I think they're a worthy investment.

Had them on both my RS and Shelby, both those cars benefited from catch cans.

·
Registered
x_posts
G16E-GTS has both direct and port injection. You might benefit from a catch can (an air oil separator would be better IMO and I believe is already included in the GRY) but not as much as on a DI only car (like the ND miata)

x_y_of_z_posts