Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
We're talking about Canadian pricing here, not US. A couple grand isn't significant, so someone saying the GRC cost a lot more than they were expecting means they thought it would be a fair bit under $40k, say $35-38k. In Canada a Corolla hatch XSE is $30k and there's no way a GRC was going to only cost $5-8k more than that so someone being shocked at the actual price is a little laughable.
I wasn’t expecting $35k but I was expecting the halo Corolla’s interior to be nicer than, or at least on par with the $30k xse. Doesn’t make sense that the GRC interior is significantly lesser quality than every other car at that price point. IS300awd, TLX A-spec, Golf R, Elantra N, Civic SI & R, all in the same ballpark price-wise but all much nicer. The core edition has full hard plastic door cards ffs. I figured there was no way Toyota would use the $20k Corolla interior on their top tier car and ask $45k…. Apparently I was wrong.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wasn’t expecting $35k but I was expecting the halo Corolla’s interior to be nicer than, or at least on par with the $30k xse. Doesn’t make sense that the GRC interior is significantly lesser quality than every other car at that price point. IS300awd, TLX A-spec, Golf R, Elantra N, Civic SI & R, all in the same ballpark price-wise but all much nicer. The core edition has full hard plastic door cards ffs. I figured there was no way Toyota would use the $20k Corolla interior on their top tier car and ask $45k…. Apparently I was wrong.
Agree.
The GRC is one of their Halo cars you would think they would have given it a proper interior.
Oh well, it is what it is.
Just too bad Honda didn't make an awd Type-R.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's true, although it is still a Corolla after all. But definitely a bit frustrating. It won't deter the true purists from buying them though :).

At the end of the day, they had to balance between cost and design features. The fully digital dash looks to be pretty awesome, so hopefully that will make up for some of the lack of seeming interior quality. Don't think most people are buying GRC's for the interior quality though, heh. At least they'll be somewhat easy to clean? Lol

It seems like we do not have an option for packages in Canada which is even more frustrating (but LSD + heated seats are standard) as per the press releases. Guess we'll wait to find out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's true, although it is still a Corolla after all. But definitely a bit frustrating. It won't deter the true purists from buying them though :).

At the end of the day, they had to balance between cost and design features. The fully digital dash looks to be pretty awesome, so hopefully that will make up for some of the lack of seeming interior quality. Don't think most people are buying GRC's for the interior quality though, heh. At least they'll be somewhat easy to clean? Lol

It seems like we do not have an option for packages in Canada which is even more frustrating (but LSD + heated seats are standard) as per the press releases. Guess we'll wait to find out.
Not sure I agree with this. I don't think you can use the "it is still just a Corolla after all" line to justify the bare-bones interior when the complaint is that the price is too high for a bare-bones corolla interior to begin with. The corolla hatch with equivalent interior (SE upgrade) is 25,360 CAD here. Is the Core really worth an extra 20k? Maybe, I'm still on the fence myself.

But to declare that "it won't deter the true purists from buying them though" is a bit out of touch, imo. There's obviously a price cutoff for you. If you didn't want the car at 60k would you no longer be a purist? 80k? What's the "purist" line?

This isn't really aimed at you, but more a general note for this thread. A simple $ conversion from USD to CAD isn't really accurate, either. Many cars are often "cheaper" here because the government takes all our money in the first place. The two other vehicles I'd be heavily considering (Type R/Integra S isn't announced) have much more competitive pricing. This sucks because I really, really love what I've seen of the GRC so far and also want to support the real passion and commitment Toyoda has proven he has for those of us who still love driving.

2022 Golf R: 46k CAD vs 44k USD (58.8k CAD, 28%)
GR86: 31.5k CAD vs 27.9k USD (37.3k CAD, 20%)
GRC Core: 45.5k CAD vs 39k USD (52.1k CAD, 15%)
GRC CE: 54k CAD vs 44k USD (58.8k CAD, 8%)

There are of course many OTHER examples with much closer pricing than this, but my point is I don't think it's by any means ridiculous to have expected the CE to be a bit more competitively priced at least, especially given the competition in the market segment here.

I think it's a bit ridiculous that to get leather seats you're not only stuck biting a 10k CAD bullet, but you also need to have god on your side in order to find one of (Canada's ration of) 1500 bullets in existence.

I hope toyota will be adding some sort of replacement for the CE in the future with at least leather seats in it. Maybe the hood and/or spoiler as well if we're lucky. Might just bide my time the first year and let my 4th spot in line at my dealer turn into a 1st for a more desireable trim.

Some of us have wives we need to convince. Pretty hard to do when you're pitching a 45k car with a third pedal and not even an option for leather seats inside. Can feel the incredulousness already 🤕

·
Super Moderator
839 Posts

For me, if it doesn't meet your standards, go for a different model

·
Registered
93 Posts
I hope toyota will be adding some sort of replacement for the CE in the future with at least leather seats in it. Maybe the hood and/or spoiler as well if we're lucky.
Some people tend to forget Circuit Edition is just a fancy name for Launch Edition. They can't call it Launch Edition because it is launching late after the Core, for whatever reason undisclosed. Everything, maybe even the forged carbon roof, I expect to trickle back as either options or future special editions. The bulge hood and large spoiler are defining features of GRC's body lines, I really doubt those features will have a total lifespan of 1 year and ~1500 examples.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Toyota Canada is capitalizing the audiences are looking for a reliable hot hatch, a segment that doesn't have a lot of choices for new vehicles. Basically it boils down to profit, by going through the parts bin of existing models, it saves a lot of development and building costs and time.

If you look at the Corolla Sport in Japan or UX200, they have significantly better interior and features than our poverty US bound models. That shows it can happen, just they choose not to to avoid cannibalization. If they offer Toyota brand cars with Lexus interior and tech, would you even bother going up that is essentially the same car with different dress? Joke is, their lower trim models are still better in interior than our SE lines.

If I have to take a wild guess, the majority of the GRC could be assembled in their major plants along the normal Corolla (by machines) then final GR specific parts are assembled (by hand) in the GR factory. I am just applying the "assembled in Canada, made in China" idea. lol

Yes.. I am disappointed and expected the interior is a side-grade for me, I can definitely compromise if the price is lower. Well, with this price, I might be happier to keep my Corolla hatch and get the 86 or used Boxster/Cayman.

·
Super Moderator
839 Posts
It is what it is.

Prices will never gonna change even if we start up demand letter that Toyota should lower the prices.

People will still going to buy the GR Corolla, and I'm one of them lol.. Love to have that 3 cylinder, been dreaming owning a GR Yaris, this is the closest one to have

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is what it is.

Prices will never gonna change even if we start up demand letter that Toyota should lower the prices.

People will still going to buy the GR Corolla, and I'm one of them lol.. Love to have that 3 cylinder, been dreaming owning a GR Yaris, this is the closest one to have
I will do one better, I will dig up my "Sound Racer" from the junk bin, plug it in and call it a day. Likely my XSE cabin is better and look remotely similar to the GR (on the inside). 🤣😂

·
Super Moderator
839 Posts
I will do one better, I will dig up my "Sound Racer" from the junk bin and call it a day. Likely my XSE cabin is better and look remotely similar than the GR (on the inside). 🤣😂
and if you did let this pass, if you park beside a GR corolla with your XSE next to it, while walking away, you would think, damnnnnnn, that GR Corolla so thick 🤘 😁

·
Registered
55 Posts
and if you did let this pass, if you park beside a GR corolla with your XSE next to it, while walking away, you would think, damnnnnnn, that GR Corolla so thick 🤘 😁
Maybe, that ass is very wide indeed.

What will likely happen is I will keep laughing at the USB-C exhaust. because no way it can install a tow hitch, everything needs to be up on the roof.

·
Super Moderator
839 Posts
Maybe, that ass is very wide indeed.

What will likely happen is I will keep laughing at the USB-C exhaust. because no way it can install a tow hitch, everything needs to be up on the roof.
I got my truck if I want to tow something or if I want to transport anything ✌ :LOL: there would be tons of option for sure on the aftermarket exhaust so I'm not going to be bothered lol

I would love to have just the center exhaust :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure I agree with this. I don't think you can use the "it is still just a Corolla after all" line to justify the bare-bones interior when the complaint is that the price is too high for a bare-bones corolla interior to begin with. The corolla hatch with equivalent interior (SE upgrade) is 25,360 CAD here. Is the Core really worth an extra 20k? Maybe, I'm still on the fence myself.

But to declare that "it won't deter the true purists from buying them though" is a bit out of touch, imo. There's obviously a price cutoff for you. If you didn't want the car at 60k would you no longer be a purist? 80k? What's the "purist" line?

This isn't really aimed at you, but more a general note for this thread. A simple $ conversion from USD to CAD isn't really accurate, either. Many cars are often "cheaper" here because the government takes all our money in the first place. The two other vehicles I'd be heavily considering (Type R/Integra S isn't announced) have much more competitive pricing. This sucks because I really, really love what I've seen of the GRC so far and also want to support the real passion and commitment Toyoda has proven he has for those of us who still love driving.

2022 Golf R: 46k CAD vs 44k USD (58.8k CAD, 28%)
GR86: 31.5k CAD vs 27.9k USD (37.3k CAD, 20%)
GRC Core: 45.5k CAD vs 39k USD (52.1k CAD, 15%)
GRC CE: 54k CAD vs 44k USD (58.8k CAD, 8%)

There are of course many OTHER examples with much closer pricing than this, but my point is I don't think it's by any means ridiculous to have expected the CE to be a bit more competitively priced at least, especially given the competition in the market segment here.

I think it's a bit ridiculous that to get leather seats you're not only stuck biting a 10k CAD bullet, but you also need to have god on your side in order to find one of (Canada's ration of) 1500 bullets in existence.

I hope toyota will be adding some sort of replacement for the CE in the future with at least leather seats in it. Maybe the hood and/or spoiler as well if we're lucky. Might just bide my time the first year and let my 4th spot in line at my dealer turn into a 1st for a more desireable trim.

Some of us have wives we need to convince. Pretty hard to do when you're pitching a 45k car with a third pedal and not even an option for leather seats inside. Can feel the incredulousness already 🤕
Loved reading this, everything you said is completely true though. Price cutoff for myself was around 50,000$ so a core makes more sense for us. I don't like justifying the bare bones interior either, but at the end of the day it does still has the Corolla badge and is mainly built off the same chassis + the modifications. It's still very clean, basic, and literally "Corolla" which is what they were going for. If the price difference wasn't so high (or Circuit staying under 50k), or having an option for the seats/interior would have been great, but I get that they wanted the launch edition to stay differentiated from core.

You're very right about the price conversion - I'm still stuck in the pre-covid era of pricing and was just hoping for a straighter conversion (37k USD -> ~42k).

Luckily my wife is onboard since the launch at the end of March because she loves Toyotas and knows we're going to have it for a very long time. Deep down (although she won't admit it), I think she's excited to drive the GRC eventually :LOL:. She prefers the cloth seats to the faux leather on the circuit, so score another point....

Just to make matters worse, 2023 Golf R MSRP was jacked up to a hair under 49,000$ with a DSG, which makes the core look like a steal. I haven't looked at any of the other competitor MSRPs though. I'm more frustrated there were no package options as the US have, but guess we "shouldn't complain" since heated seats and LSDs are coming as standard. I guess this was their compromise to Canada getting any at all? Yes, the audio system can be upgraded in aftermarket for an even better one but all the packages for it seemed like great prices (at least in USD) and might as well have things installed from factory in my opinion.

I feel like there will definitely a circuit edition alternative in the future once the hype does down a bit and production returns to more of a norm "post covid", whenever the hell that is. Probably in 2026 at this point (/endrage). Hope you're able to get one with exactly what you want at some point🤞. Like you say, hopefully by that point they'll have a second year model with some upgrades.

For me, if it doesn't meet your standards, go for a different model
It's true, the price difference for me turned us off of the circuit. On a finance the price pushes 70,000$ over the term with interest, which is bonkers. Also been looking at the core interior a lot and it's growing on me. I'm used to it from my car's and do think it looks very clean inside.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.