Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few weeks ago there was a Toyota Highlander stolen in my neighbourhood right off the driveway. The homeowners kept their key fobs right by the garage man door inside. The thieves were able to trace the key fob signal to their decoy, and that's how they easily got into the Toyota and drove off in less than a minute!
That to me is very scary!
I try not to keep my cars outside, ever, especially for such reasons but even stored inside a garage is still not 100%.
That's when I decided to invest and try out the Faraday box for key fobs. It's a super inexpensive way to add more security I believe. Toyota's in general, especially the trucks are very popular for thieves.
Here is the video to show you guys how it worked out:

Link to box used is in the video link.

·
Banned
452 Posts
Been there done that with a faraday pouch for my Veloster N key fobs, as well as planning on putting a Wyze cam flood light for security on my driveway.
Auto makers thought it was best, more convenient to install push starter buttons along with keyless entry, but it has only really helped out the car thieves.
My 2013 VW Sportwagen has your simple, regular key into the ignition, and is much less likely to be stolen, however the manual transmission in my Veloster N is an anti-theft feature in itself.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,123 Posts
I never understood why we went to push start and keyless entry. Is it really that inconvenient to take out a key, press unlock, and start the car with that same key? All you need is the fob to be too close to the car or someone with a mimic fob and they can just get away. Glad there's at least some fixes for it

·
Banned
452 Posts
I never understood why we went to push start and keyless entry. Is it really that inconvenient to take out a key, press unlock, and start the car with that same key? All you need is the fob to be too close to the car or someone with a mimic fob and they can just get away. Glad there's at least some fixes for it
Agree.
I don't feel it makes it any more convenient but it makes it a lot easier to steal.

·
Registered
272 Posts
And the car needs to drive itself now too so the bots can play on their phones the entire drive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea people are that lazy to take out a key and press a button to unlock/lock it. It's a "luxury" feature, or so that's how most people look at it, so every car manufacturer jumped on board with it. I'm sure some would pay a premium for it lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts