Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

Anyone NOT PPFing??

12K views 71 replies 38 participants last post by  GR_Johnny777 
#1 ·
I've had this car for 1000 miles, still no issues. I've never PPF'd or had a car with PPF before and while I understand what it offers the cost is pretty steep in the PNW from what I can find and I hesitate to pay that much to PPF a Corolla.

I plan to track once or twice a year and while this is technically my daily we spend most of the time in the wife's car.

I intend to keep this car for life so I'm not really looking to protect an "investment" just enjoy the car. I figured if the front ever got some nicks just use a touch up stick and in the feature pony up for a front end respray if it ever got to that point (although the car is garage kept).

Anyone else have an opinion?

#38 ·
I'm in the ppf camp. If it's going on a track and it's not already a shit box, PPF for sure.

Though I do understand not doing it in areas where it's more pricey, it's a value based thing and for $3k I start to see the value of it diminish. But personally here in UT, $1500 got me full PPF on the hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors, bumper, and rear fender flares. That's worth it to me and I'm sure it will be valuable to whoever buys it from me in the future.

#39 ·
I barely even wash my cars, I definitely won't be doing full PPF but I might do the A pillars and roof if they're steel. Purely because they're the only bits that you can't unbolt from the car and if a chip there results in rust it's a pain. I'm pretty sure the roof is aluminum and I'm assuming the pillars are too though.

#41 ·
LOL...If you do not care to have your car looking clean and shiny I get it...but I t usually takes a long time for me to not care, as I still wash and wax my old Miata,,my wife washes her 2020 car maybe a few times a year, she cares but does not have the time or the will to wash it. She works so much... me on the other hand it makes me feel good to have the car clean. It's been that way wether I drive my 1990 Miata or my old 88 hp Civic CX I used to have. I like my interior clean as well.some of use are detail freaks and some of us do not care. All good.

#46 ·
I'm in the PPF camp as we PPFd my Miata and the wife's Si pretty much the day we got each car. Wife's car is now at 130k miles and 8 years old and still looks brand new. The Miata has a tri coat metal flake paint and it also looks brand new. When we got my daughter a used Honda Fit, I didn't get it PPFd because of the cost of the PPF vs the cars cost. After a year or so the hood and bumper were peppered with chips. I also ceramic coat my cars and that doesn't really protect a car at all from rock chips.

But hey it's up to you as we tend to keep our cars 10ish years and i'm very detail oriented with how our vehicles look. I basically have an obsessed garage pressure washer system in my garage. We have a 30 year old MasterCraft and 20 year old Tahoe that all look relatively new. i buy once and then take very good care of our toys.

#47 ·
No reason for me to coat or protect when mother nature is going to beat up the car anyways.

EX: 3 months ago at 2am, a random giant neighborhood dog broke his rope, came and got it tied around my center carport pole right next to my 2 year old Tundra. He then jumped all over the side of it for who knows how long until I heard his barking and freed him. Then about a month ago, birds decided they wanted to attack their reflections in the trucks side mirrors scratching them all to hell. It also got 2 windshield chips that I filled within 8 months of owning it. Poor girl can't win.

I do grace the GRC with parking in my shop compared to the carport with the truck though lol. That's all the special protection she gets.

#50 ·
That is exactly my reasoning for getting paint protection film.😟Sorry.
The dealer I have my deposit with is literally walking distance from my house, so I don't foresee getting any chips on the way home.🤞
My only concern is that the wash boy in the back will scratch the car getting it ready for pickup, as the dealership is small so no automatic car wash.
I may ask them if I can do the washing myself, with my soap, wash mitt and drying towel.
Also, if you keep your cars for 5+ years, the ppf will really help with a private resale.
No one wants to buy a used car that's all chipped and pitted, they'll ask for a discount.
But if it's in pristine condition you'll get more.

#56 ·
I didn't PPF mine but for what it would cost to do a full-body PPF, I'd rather get it wrapped in a color other than white. I figure once I get tired of the white, I'll take it in, get some chips filled/corrected, and walk out with a new color.

Reactions: Raaaaay and Leseid
#63 ·
If that is for Expel you got a good price. I dropped mine off today for Expel as well is was $2 grand for the same coverage ..Prices do vary a bit with installers ,,got a 2nd quote from another Expel dealer 15 miles away..its. and the price was just about the samee...xpensive..The kicker though is I want to Ceramic Coat mine as well and with Expel if you do not use there Fusion Plus Ceramic Coat .....all other Ceramic Coats from other companies will void the 10 year Expel film warranty... Was Tod this by the 2 Expel shops...Supposidle there Ceramic coat was developed to work best with there film....Could be true could be a crock of shit...

#64 ·
Just dropped mine off for ppf today, coming from an 86 that thing was a rock chip magnet. Front bumper looked like the damn milky way galaxy.

I understand the respray vs ppf argument but I'd rather be proactive then reactive, plus after you respray you're just gonna get more chips.

Guess it just depends how much you care or don't, to me this is an expensive car and hoping it'll hold it's value so it's in my best interest to keep it clean even though it's my dd.

#65 ·
The damage I have right now is only on the hood, and its easy to hit with a touchup pen. I will probably get the CE hood anyway, but I see where this is going and I'm second guessing my decision to not PPF.

Any of you with prior experience ever get a rock chip through PPF? What do you do if you get a chip through PPF, do you have to replace the film?

#66 ·
You can always get a rock chip through the ppf if it's a large enough Rock, and if that happens you have to replace the film on that body part, or live with the chip.
I've put ppf on many of my cars and I've never had that happen.
Today's ppf are quite robust and self-healing.
If you're thinking about going with ppf make sure you ask the installer if they wrap the edges very important, otherwise if they use a pre-cut kit a lot of the edges will be exposed and vulnerable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.