Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
If I cannot get or don't end up getting a GRC, I dunno why but im in love with challenger scatpack widebody in a 6 speed manual. Opposite end of the spectrum but 2023 is last year I believe.
I’d make sure to drive a stick one before you buy. The general consensus online seems to be that the manual isn’t the way to go in that car, it’s apparently pretty sloppy and vague feeling. The 8 speed auto is a ZF unit so it’s legit, plus it’s a drag car anyway. It’s not like you’re going to tear up a backroad in it…I like driving stick (in fact I’ll have a Miata to play with this weekend) but I don’t think it fits that particular car’s purpose, which is being big, loud, and going fast in a straight line.

Also…good luck with the gas and insurance costs. If you can afford to eat them then more power to you, but the cost of owning a muscle car is much, much higher than anything else in that price range. Apparently the MPG estimates are pretty generous (which is shocking considering I think they’re rated at 13 city lol). I’ve read a lot of folks online saying they get single digits most of the time 😳

I considered a Mustang GT or Camaro LT1 before the GRC was announced but after doing a bunch of research I decided it wasn’t a direction I’d want to go in personally. The cost of entry is downright reasonable for the power you get, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. They’re very, very costly to own and super compromised. I could see keeping one in the garage as a weekend/track day warrior but as a daily they’re a lot to put up with.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It could be a time bomb after the certified warranty runs out but that’d be a full two years down the road and I’m not as worried about it since it’s had all its preventative maintenance.
Lol my fiancée has basically said “this is the one time I’m going to let you jump cars before we’re married and kids are in the picture” since my GTI is only 2 years old/she and her family are “drive a car into the ground” folks. She doesn’t get it, but she tries to since I’m a huge gearhead and cars make me happy.
Sounds perfect IMO, lol. You would get 2 years to see how well the GRC holds up and avoid any first year issues. They might release another special edition that appeals to you more. It might even get a facelift in 3+ years. You'd get to enjoy your dream car for two years while getting a potentially more refined GRC later. In two years, when marriage and kids are coming into the picture, reference the common problems Porsche has after the warranty period and how you want something a bit safer and more reliable for the growing family and better for "driving into the ground."

But...there is a huge pitfall. Practically speaking, the Macan has a lot more space and thus a bit better suited for a family... it might be hard to justify a reduction in size...

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 2017 GT350R, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
198 Posts
Sounds perfect IMO, lol. You would get 2 years to see how well the GRC holds up and avoid any first year issues. They might release another special edition that appeals to you more. It might even get a facelift in 3+ years. You'd get to enjoy your dream car for two years while getting a potentially more refined GRC later. In two years, when marriage and kids are coming into the picture, reference the common problems Porsche has after the warranty period and how you want something a bit safer and more reliable for the growing family and better for "driving into the ground."

But...there is a huge pitfall. Practically speaking, the Macan has a lot more space and thus a bit better suited for a family... it might be hard to justify a reduction in size...
Has Toyota said how long they'll be making the GRC? Main reason I want one now, is cause I really don't expect them to be produced very long. 2023-2025 is what I expect, but I may have missed a statement from Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Has Toyota said how long they'll be making the GRC? Main reason I want one now, is cause I really don't expect them to be produced very long. 2023-2025 is what I expect, but I may have missed a statement from Toyota.
They didn’t say anything other than the number of cars being built and that it could increase every year.

But with Akio/Koji Sato wanting to build more Toyota bred products, and renewed interest by consumers, we might see the GRC for a while.

·
Registered
368 Posts
They haven't explicitly stated one way or another, but the implications of their words and actions suggest a normal lifecycle as opposed to a limited one.

I'm sure there are more, but off the top of my head:

1: An auto is being developed and likely won't be ready for market for a couple years - it doesn't make sense to develop an auto trans for a dying/discontinued platform. With the EV roll-out in 7-8 years, they probably want cars they can coast with till the EV transition.

2: When speaking of the numbers, Trippe suggested that there would be more special editions. Since special editions are a yearly thing, they're at least planning for multiple years of sales.

3: Also when speaking of numbers, they specified that the first year will have slower production and will ramp up in subsequent years.

If you piece all these things together, I expect it to be available for a minimum of 3 years, but likely 5+ till the end of demand or feasibility.

Of course, plans are made with certain variables in mind. No one thought that Ukraine would be invaded, and that has had huge repercussions on supply chains. Many parts were manufactured in Ukraine and auto manufacturers had to scramble to find alternatives. Mini just halted any manual trans orders due to supply issues, which no one could have planned for.

So...who knows 🤷‍♀️ lol - Another pandemic, natural disaster, or war could be just around the corner o_O

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
They haven't explicitly stated one way or another, but the implications of their words and actions suggest a normal lifecycle as opposed to a limited one.

I'm sure there are more, but off the top of my head:

1: An auto is being developed and likely won't be ready for market for a couple years - it doesn't make sense to develop an auto trans for a dying/discontinued platform. With the EV roll-out in 7-8 years, they probably want cars they can coast with till the EV transition.

2: When speaking of the numbers, Trippe suggested that there would be more special editions. Since special editions are a yearly thing, they're at least planning for multiple years of sales.

3: Also when speaking of numbers, they specified that the first year will have slower production and will ramp up in subsequent years.

If you piece all these things together, I expect it to be available for a minimum of 3 years, but likely 5+ till the end of demand or feasibility.

Of course, plans are made with certain variables in mind. No one thought that Ukraine would be invaded, and that has had huge repercussions on supply chains. Many parts were manufactured in Ukraine and auto manufacturers had to scramble to find alternatives. Mini just halted any manual trans orders due to supply issues, which no one could have planned for.

So...who knows 🤷‍♀️ lol - Another pandemic, natural disaster, or war could be just around the corner o_O
I think we’ll get a good 5 years out of it at least. All the points you’ve shared are great.

·
Super Moderator
421 Posts
Agreed with @luluna. I think we're looking at 3 years minimum. Another part of it will depend heavily on how hard the EPA decides to push things, as well as other countries regulating bodies.

Reactions: Wynorrific

·
Registered
219 Posts
Agreed with @luluna. I think we're looking at 3 years minimum. Another part of it will depend heavily on how hard the EPA decides to push things, as well as other countries regulating bodies.
On the regulatory/environmental front, I think the GRC should be relatively safe for a while. It’s a 1.6 liter 3 cylinder. Even though every government is pushing for the end of ICE it’s the major gas guzzlers that are going to go first. If you want like…a V8 it’s probably now or never, but small displacement turbo engines? I think they’ll be around for a while longer.

·
Super Moderator
421 Posts
On the regulatory/environmental front, I think the GRC should but relatively safe for a while. It’s a 1.6 liter 3 cylinder. Even though every government is pushing for the end of ICE it’s the major gas guzzlers that are going to go first. If you want like…a V8 it’s probably now or never, but small displacement turbo engines? I think they’ll be around for a while longer.
Yeah. I tend to agree with you. Plus, as far the EPA goes, they're mostly pushing fleet MPGs. In theory, Ford could electrify their entire lineup and keep the Mustang as a gas car and still meet that fleet MPGs, so long as their mustang continues to meet any other emissions related regulations. Same for all the others, especially our beloved little 3-pot

All that to say, I don't think we'll see ICE go away any time soon.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
I agree with them as well. I see 3-5 years until they redesign the Corolla for upcoming standards and that's when they'll either do a hybrid GRC or wait a few years after and get a hydrogen one

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’d make sure to drive a stick one before you buy. The general consensus online seems to be that the manual isn’t the way to go in that car, it’s apparently pretty sloppy and vague feeling. The 8 speed auto is a ZF unit so it’s legit, plus it’s a drag car anyway. It’s not like you’re going to tear up a backroad in it…I like driving stick (in fact I’ll have a Miata to play with this weekend) but I don’t think it fits that particular car’s purpose, which is being big, loud, and going fast in a straight line.

Also…good luck with the gas and insurance costs. If you can afford to eat them then more power to you, but the cost of owning a muscle car is much, much higher than anything else in that price range. Apparently the MPG estimates are pretty generous (which is shocking considering I think they’re rated at 13 city lol). I’ve read a lot of folks online saying they get single digits most of the time 😳

I considered a Mustang GT or Camaro LT1 before the GRC was announced but after doing a bunch of research I decided it wasn’t a direction I’d want to go in personally. The cost of entry is downright reasonable for the power you get, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. They’re very, very costly to own and super compromised. I could see keeping one in the garage as a weekend/track day warrior but as a daily they’re a lot to put up with.

I hear people are getting around 25 USmpg on hwy. Also the 6 speed Is a tremec 6060, you can change the shifter feel with an aftermarket short throw. Biggest concern would be the weight at 4200 lbs. But im fairly certain I will be getting GRC. Number one on the list at my dealer and put 1000 down. Just fun to dream of alternative paths.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts