Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
FWIW comparing international car prices to USD can get pretty wonky. It’s usually not as simple as looking at the exchange rates.

I’ve toyed with the idea of a Mustang or Camaro but we just wouldn’t be able to make one work from a practicality or cost standpoint. They really only have room for two people and a dog or young kids, but they don’t have enough room for rear facing child seats…so if you’re planning on having kids in the near future they don’t make much sense, and you’re never fitting adults back there for more than a short trip. Also…a Mustang is about as long as a 4Runner. They’re absolutely huge for the fact that they’re coupes.

Gas mileage and insurance costs are also a huge issue. I understand why “give me a V8 or give me death” folks exist, they sound amazing and a beefy NA engine is always fun, but unless you’re only doing highway driving the mileage is abysmal, and I’ve heard that the Coyote in particular usually gets much worse city mileage than it’s rated for. They also cost an arm and a leg to insure regardless of how good your record is.

To make a long story short…pony cars are very expensive to own and are effectively two seaters. Being able to pick up a well equipped GT or Camaro LT1 for 40k is amazing on paper but owning them is deceptively expensive when you factor other costs in. The payment is only the tip of the iceberg.

…all that being said, there is a really interesting compromise, especially for you as a Focus owner, and it’s the HPP ecoboost. They initially shoved the Focus RS engine into a Mustang as a skunkworks project, and it wound up performing so well it got the green light. The numbers those throw down are surprising (HPPs usually lap better than GTs) and they apparently handle way, way better than GTs due to the lower weight and better balance. They also get decent gas mileage and are less expensive to insure.

…if you can get past the stigma of owning a non V8 Mustang I think they’re a cool option, but a lot of people can’t, so they don’t sell very well. You can definitely get a deal on one though. The performance package is mandatory (better brakes and adaptive dampers) and I see HPPs with it equipped selling in the mid 30s all the time. I couldn’t make one work as a daily, but I definitely see the appeal. It’s nearly V8 power and speed but without the crazy hidden costs of owning one.
There is an alternative(possibly)! lol. I was also watching for the release of the Raptor R as well, though mpg would probably be horrible like the ram trx at 10mpg. But it would be fast, practical and sound great. I would have had to give up my 4runner for it though since it has the largest parking spot in my garage. Between giving up the 4runner and the horrible mpg, it got nixed off my list though it would be a super cool truck to have.

·
Registered
219 Posts
There is an alternative(possibly)! lol. I was also watching for the release of the Raptor R as well, though mpg would probably be horrible like the ram trx at 10mpg. But it would be fast, practical and sound great. I would have had to give up my 4runner for it though since it has the largest parking spot in my garage. Between giving up the 4runner and the horrible mpg, it got nixed off my list though it would be a super cool truck to have.
Raptors are so over the top and ridiculous

….which is why I low-key kind of dig them lol. If you’re going to do a huge gas guzzling truck why not go all in and get the craziest one you can? I can’t even begin to imagine what a hoot they are on an off-road course. The Savagegeese guys were cracking up the entire time they were beating on one for their review and to be honest their opinions are near the top of my list for trustworthiness. They really, really know cars.

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 2017 GT350R, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
198 Posts
Im not on a list but I contacted a dealer out of state. They emailed back today saying they have 1400 orders for the Base and 2200 for the Z06. However, because they get between 80 and 160 allocations every month for the Corvette, we will be able to take delivery of it in around 10 months. This is for the Base.
Looking at it that way, You have a better chance and a faster chance of getting into a brand new C8 at MSRP than you do a GR Corolla.
The Corvette is the best bang for the buck car money can buy. The only downside I see to it is that there are a lot of them on the roads now. It has exclusive looks, but not so much the actual exclusivity anymore. But im in LA, so it may be different in other parts of the country.
A really good value. I see them occasionally out on public roads, but I always see one or two on track days which is the best place to spot one. That is surprising tho, I thought they'd be more backed up than that. Crazy that I view a 10 month wait as acceptable now, but that's just how it is 😩

·
Registered
86 Posts

….which is why I low-key kind of dig them lol. If you’re going to do a huge gas guzzling truck why not go all in and get the craziest one you can? I can’t even begin to imagine what a hoot they are on an off-road course. The Savagegeese guys were cracking up the entire time they were beating on one for their review and to be honest their opinions are near the top of my list for trustworthiness. They really, really know cars.
I would love one for sure but since I do a lot of slower types of offroading, long trips and camping the 4runner made more sense. I also sleep in the 4runner when i go alone so the utility and ability to do that is nice.

·
Super Moderator
421 Posts
I’ve toyed with the idea of a Mustang or Camaro but we just wouldn’t be able to make one work from a practicality or cost standpoint. They really only have room for two people and a dog or young kids, but they don’t have enough room for rear facing child seats…so if you’re planning on having kids in the near future they don’t make much sense, and you’re never fitting adults back there for more than a short trip. Also…a Mustang is about as long as a 4Runner. They’re absolutely huge for the fact that they’re coupes.

Gas mileage and insurance costs are also a huge issue. I understand why “give me a V8 or give me death” folks exist, they sound amazing and a beefy NA engine is always fun, but unless you’re only doing highway driving the mileage is abysmal, and I’ve heard that the Coyote in particular usually gets much worse city mileage than it’s rated for. They also cost an arm and a leg to insure regardless of how good your record is.

To make a long story short…pony cars are very expensive to own and are effectively two seaters. Being able to pick up a well equipped GT or Camaro LT1 for 40k is amazing on paper but owning them is deceptively expensive when you factor other costs in. The payment is only the tip of the iceberg.
Yeah. My dad is a mechanic, and taught me early on in my car days that the cost of a car is far more than just buying it, so I've looked into the "cost to own" of every car I've thought about buying. The Mustang GT, while not the most expensive, ain't cheap to own. That said, the gen3 Coyotes are better, mostly due to dual injection rather than straight out port injection, which helps with maintenance costs AND city mpg. The practicality was the single biggest push for me to get the FoST rather than an SN197 Mustang.

…all that being said, there is a really interesting compromise, especially for you as a Focus owner, and it’s the HPP ecoboost. They initially shoved the Focus RS engine into a Mustang as a skunkworks project, and it wound up performing so well it got the green light. The numbers those throw down are surprising (HPPs usually lap better than GTs) and they apparently handle way, way better than GTs due to the lower weight and better balance. They also get decent gas mileage and are less expensive to insure.
I used to be a diehard "V8 or Bust" type with the Mustang, but that was back when the V6 was the only other option and when the cost looked more... Beefy. I love the S550 body, and while I hated the EB Mustang at first, the more I see of them and the more performance modded ones I see, the more I've seen them as a real Mustang. Not a "Proper" Mustang, mind you, but still a fun, fast, sporty coupe that isn't constricted by a boring, slow engine.

…if you can get past the stigma of owning a non V8 Mustang I think they’re a cool option, but a lot of people can’t, so they don’t sell very well. You can definitely get a deal on one though. The performance package is mandatory (better brakes and adaptive dampers) and I see HPPs with it equipped selling in the mid 30s all the time. I couldn’t make one work as a daily, but I definitely see the appeal. It’s nearly V8 power and speed but without the crazy hidden costs of owning one.
Yeah. I'd be in the "has to be a V8 Mustang" category. I get the appeal, but I couldn't see myself owning a Mustang that wasn't a "proper" Mustang in my eyes. If I want an EB Ford, I'll stick with my FoST.

Raptors are amazing, and might be one of the few automatics I'd consider buying. I have literally 0 need for anything like it, but damn it if they aren't cool.

Reactions: MadChicken

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Yeah. My dad is a mechanic, and taught me early on in my car days that the cost of a car is far more than just buying it, so I've looked into the "cost to own" of every car I've thought about buying. The Mustang GT, while not the most expensive, ain't cheap to own. That said, the gen3 Coyotes are better, mostly due to dual injection rather than straight out port injection, which helps with maintenance costs AND city mpg. The practicality was the single biggest push for me to get the FoST rather than an SN197 Mustang.

I used to be a diehard "V8 or Bust" type with the Mustang, but that was back when the V6 was the only other option and when the cost looked more... Beefy. I love the S550 body, and while I hated the EB Mustang at first, the more I see of them and the more performance modded ones I see, the more I've seen them as a real Mustang. Not a "Proper" Mustang, mind you, but still a fun, fast, sporty coupe that isn't constricted by a boring, slow engine.

Yeah. I'd be in the "has to be a V8 Mustang" category. I get the appeal, but I couldn't see myself owning a Mustang that wasn't a "proper" Mustang in my eyes. If I want an EB Ford, I'll stick with my FoST.

Raptors are amazing, and might be one of the few automatics I'd consider buying. I have literally 0 need for anything like it, but damn it if they aren't cool.
What if the Puma ST hybrid comes here would you consider it? Lol

·
Super Moderator
421 Posts
What if the Puma ST hybrid comes here would you consider it? Lol
Hadn't heard of it until now. At first glance, I hate it. Lol. Not a fan of CUVs. That said, it's a 6MT PHEV, so it could still be a ton of fun, even with only 200hp.

Reactions: Wynorrific

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
Hadn't heard of it until now. At first glance, I hate it. Lol. Not a fan of CUVs. That said, it's a 6MT PHEV, so it could still be a ton of fun, even with only 200hp.
It's a weird CUV. It's like a slightly lifted Fiesta that's a tad bigger

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
It’s Fords Corolla Cross essentially. Lol

or a Kona N
If only Subaru made a hot Crosstrek:cry:. The hottest one is the Sport because of the FB25D but that's CVT only:mad:. Will be interesting to see if the Puma ST is a real thing for the US, especially if it is manual

Reactions: jimv2013

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’m very surprised nobody has mentioned the upcoming ranger raptor and (once costs potentially come down) the ct4 v blackwing. Right now they’re WAY above msrp but once those come down where they should be it’ll be awesome!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I’m very surprised nobody has mentioned the upcoming ranger raptor and (once costs potentially come down) the ct4 v blackwing. Right now they’re WAY above msrp but once those come down where they should be it’ll be awesome!
I plan on a ranger raptor in a year or two. As for the blackwing I honestly don't think we'll see much depreciation with that car as Cadillac goes electric.

·
Registered
219 Posts
….how did we come to the conclusion that a 70k+ luxury rocket and an equally expensive luxury/sport truck that each absolutely chug gas and will cost a fortune to own are viable alternative options to a 40k ish 3 cylinder hot hatch? Lmao

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
….how did we come to the conclusion that a 70k+ luxury rocket and an equally expensive luxury/sport truck that each absolutely chug gas and will cost a fortune to own are viable alternative options to a 40k ish 3 cylinder hot hatch? Lmao
These are cars (trucks) that people want if they couldn’t get a GRC. Which I get it, my list is everywhere.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome to the end of manuals and the combustion engine in some cases lol. It's all on the table

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
217 Posts
If only Subaru made a hot Crosstrek:cry:. The hottest one is the Sport because of the FB25D but that's CVT only:mad:. Will be interesting to see if the Puma ST is a real thing for the US, especially if it is manual
There is a guy who put basically the entirety of a 2018 STi into a 2013 Crosstrek and it was almost all bolt in. It would be a lot of work but if you get lucky finding a Crosstrek with a blown engine and a crashed STi it might be doable for cheapish.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts