Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is why Toyota is being so obscure with exterior details?

I personally would like the GR to stand out with a sportier grill and front fascia as well as unique colors, than other Corolla hatches and sedan models 馃し

Toyota is reportedly planning on a mid-life facelift for the Corolla, with the updated model rumored to debut this October in Japan, featuring mild visual and technological updates. The timing of the refreshed Corolla range would align well with the GR Corolla hot hatch that is also expected to debut later this year.

According to Creative Trend, the facelifted Corolla won鈥檛 change a lot in terms of exterior design. Changes will be limited to new headlight and taillight graphics, alongside a tweaked grille and an updated color palette. Besides the Corolla Hatchback, similar treatment will likely be applied to the Corolla Touring Sports and the Corolla sedan which gets a different design depending on the market.

Super Moderator
The interior upgrades of a full LCD instrument cluster and larger infotainment display will be welcome changes.
Agreed. I've seen a ton of videos of the GR Yaris at this point, and one of the things that always kills me is that gauge cluster. It looks so old for a 2021 car.

Registered
2020 X3M Competition
Agreed. I've seen a ton of videos of the GR Yaris at this point, and one of the things that always kills me is that gauge cluster. It looks so old for a 2021 car.
It literally looks like an instrument cluster plucked out of a 90's economy car. I get that the Yaris is a micro car but Toyota probably got those clusters for a hair above free from their supplier.

Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
Maybe this is why Toyota is being so obscure with exterior details?

I personally would like the GR to stand out with a sportier grill and front fascia as well as unique colors, than other Corolla hatches and sedan models 馃し

The thing is that they've basically shown the car a few times in camo and it lines up with how the current Corolla looks. Unless, of course, the camo photos we've seen were just the G16 and GR-Four in a test mule that was the standard Corolla body and they are waiting to show the full thing without camo. I hope we don't get the 10 or 12 inch screen. I like what's currently in the Corolla and I hope they keep it more discrete for the GR

Registered
2020 X3M Competition
The thing is that they've basically shown the car a few times in camo and it lines up with how the current Corolla looks. Unless, of course, the camo photos we've seen were just the G16 and GR-Four in a test mule that was the standard Corolla body and they are waiting to show the full thing without camo. I hope we don't get the 10 or 12 inch screen. I like what's currently in the Corolla and I hope they keep it more discrete for the GR
From the article;

According to Creative Trend, the facelifted Corolla won鈥檛 change a lot in terms of exterior design.
Any changes are probably pretty subtle and it's not like anything can be determined either way from the cammo photos we've seen.

Super Moderator
AutomotivePress went over a refresh and the GRC awhile ago I believe. Since the GRC has been in development for awhile, they鈥檙e not going to change it last second

Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
From the article;

Any changes are probably pretty subtle and it's not like anything can be determined either way from the cammo photos we've seen.
Yeah my bad, I was thinking of like a full refresh rather than a facelift. And that's for sure. The camo hides a bunch and a lot can change from a camo prototype to production

Registered
2020 X3M Competition
AutomotivePress went over a refresh and the GRC awhile ago I believe. Since the GRC has been in development for awhile, they鈥檙e not going to change it last second
Exterior is rarely a major focus on test mules. New taillights, headlights, or other minor changes can absolutely be changed for production versions. It seems like the interior will be where any major changes will take place and I would expect the GRC will get those updates given it鈥檚 going to come at a premium price point for a Corolla.

Super Moderator
Exterior is rarely a major focus on test mules. New taillights, headlights, or other minor changes can absolutely be changed for production versions. It seems like the interior will be where any major changes will take place and I would expect the GRC will get those updates given it鈥檚 going to come at a premium price point for a Corolla.
You say that, but the interior of the Focus RS was damn near identical to the interior of the Platinum Focus or the Focus ST. You got a nicer "racing" wheel, which the ST also got, and the same seats as the ST, though they had RS stitching instead of ST stitching. They weren't identical, but pretty damn close.

Granted. There isn't an "ST" variant of the Corolla. They're jumping straight from Focus Platinum (Corolla Apex) to Focus RS (GRC). If we look at the ST vs the base focus, they're nearly identical. You get an extra gauge cluster that was clearly designed after the fact, and the seats.

My point is. You're probably right that the exterior will be fairly similar. A wing, some unique tires and some badging and maybe a different bumper will probably be a majority of the changes. But I suspect the interior will be largely the same with a few extra bits as well. Granted, Toyota could surprise us all and change it all, but that would require a lot of extra manufacturing and drive up costs. Ford did it the way they did to keep the ST and the RS as affordable as possible.

Reactions: Jeonsa

Super Moderator
As an aside, I generally agree that the camo'd car we've seen is probably just a regular Corolla HB that's been frankensteined as a testbed.

Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
It would make sense as even though camo hides body lines really well, it looked very similar to the normal one and didn't seem too widebody'd out

Registered
As an aside, I generally agree that the camo'd car we've seen is probably just a regular Corolla HB that's been frankensteined as a testbed.
Not sure how much I agree with this. Why would Toyota tease a test mule? They鈥檝e clearly released pictures of this on purpose, I don鈥檛 see why they would release a camo car in a body they aren鈥檛 utilizing. Just seems weird to me.

Banned
Existing gauge cluster is fine with me. For a permanent car for me, the more analog the better. Less shit to break. Only thing I do want is wireless carplay as the HU is tacked on so I can replace it with aftermarket.

Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
Not sure how much I agree with this. Why would Toyota tease a test mule? They鈥檝e clearly released pictures of this on purpose, I don鈥檛 see why they would release a camo car in a body they aren鈥檛 utilizing. Just seems weird to me.
Yeah, if anything I think the test bed was an uncamo'd regular Corolla HB as previous to the tease, none of the spy photo guys caught any pics of the GR Corolla. It went under the radar as no one pays attention to a regular Corolla driving around the dessert and mountains and cities. I'm sure Toyota road tested it under all kinda of conditions.

Super Moderator
Yeah, if anything I think the test bed was an uncamo'd regular Corolla HB as previous to the tease, none of the spy photo guys caught any pics of the GR Corolla. It went under the radar as no one pays attention to a regular Corolla driving around the dessert and mountains and cities. I'm sure Toyota road tested it under all kinda of conditions.
Yeah... I had forgotten that they teased the other cars in their final bodies with GR camo. Knowing that, I change my mind. The camo we've seen is probably the final form of the car, or close to it at least.

Registered
2014 Accord Coupe V6 Nav (manual), 2021 Corolla XSE HB (auto)
Existing gauge cluster is fine with me. For a permanent car for me, the more analog the better. Less shit to break. Only thing I do want is wireless carplay as the HU is tacked on so I can replace it with aftermarket.
I get your point, but if the Corolla xse has a digital cluster, I kinda would want one too鈥spevially so my wife can鈥檛 hold it over my head because I bought her a 鈥21 xse hatch! LOL

Registered
2014 Accord Coupe V6 Nav (manual), 2021 Corolla XSE HB (auto)
Funny, I never thought about that. I had always focused on that Nuremberg yaris that was tested with the fender vents, but if that was just a possible GRMN Yaris that didn鈥檛 make it, and the GRC looks much like the standard xse hatch, then they could have been testing it this whole time and no spies would have guessed it was the GRC鈥..

Super Moderator
Yup we went over this quickly before but I agree. They used a regular body for street testing then used one of those 鈥渉ydrogen鈥 sporty corollas for the track but using regular fossil fuel. One of the benefits of keeping the styling somewhat the same

1 - 20 of 23 Posts