Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

Akio Toyoda Steps Down as CEO

7K views 57 replies 25 participants last post by  Nemesis 
#1 Ā·
#16 Ā·
feel free to lock my OT post on this, I presumed it was more OT since it wasn't specifically GR Corolla material and so I didn't even think to look in other forums.

reading the article I did this morning, and with some liberal between the lines reading, he was 'stepped down' because he didn't focus heavily enough on the EV market.

#9 Ā· (Edited)
there's another thread in the general section for this already: Akio Toyoda Steps Down as CEO

seems like this wasn't a shock, as much as the timing of it is.

it'll be interesting to see how this affects the brand, since this was pushed from Akio directly, and the reason for the move was because there wasn't enough focus on EV.

#28 Ā·
oil companies don't want to kill of hydrogen. they're all aboard that train, or the synthetic fuel train, whichever.

people who have fully invested themselves in BEV are the only ones who want to see other emerging technology (or ones that aren't fully BEV) die.

rationally, if you look at the Toyota way of doing PHEV, it's the quickest way to transition the highest volume of cars away from pure gasoline in the quickest timeframe. the average mileage a person drives in a day is less than 40 miles, so make a PHEV that can do 40 miles on EV only.

F150 Lightning = 100kWh battery
Lucid Air = 120kWh battery
Tesla MY = 80kWh battery
Tesla M3 = 50-80kWh battery (depending on trim and year)
Rav4 Prime = 20kWh battery
Prius Prime = 10kWh battery

10 people driving 40 miles on electric is better than 9 people driving 40 miles on gas and one guy driving 40 miles on battery.
5 people driving 40 miles on electric and 5 people driving 40 miles on gas is better than 9 people driving 40 miles on gas and one guy driving 40 miles on battery.

production for LI is ramping as quickly as possible, so it may be an abundant resource, but it is limited by tech, so the quickest way to get these cars in the hands of drivers is to go with the most practical approach. Toyota was doing that and gets grinded for doing it. people who are real environmentalists should be pissed.

ugh, sorry, mods delete if necessary, I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I start thinking about this stuff.

#33 Ā·
Its not like hes leaving. But the media outlets need to clickbait the headline and make it sound like hes been canned.
Yeah if anything this means cool stuff could happen more often.

Recent reports for example were saying the GR86 is about to become a fully homegrown product. While skeptical at first because these collabs were a way to save money on projects, this actually seems more likely to me now.

Most of Akioā€™s projects in the beginning with Gazoo Racing, LFA, FRS and so on were all done with some pushback from higher ups. Most of these things Akio found short cuts in developing.

#39 Ā·
If you guys have time to watch, Kamata-San (one of, if not the, most recognizable AE86 figures/tuners/restorers) had a little meeting with Koji Sato and some of the GR team.

Sato-San talks about restoration parts they should release for the AE86 Corolla and some troubles he had with his own build.

#53 Ā·

This is is terrible News for enthusiasts! Akio was the only CEO that was driving innovations to bringing traditional automotive fun into the future! Akio understood drivers and enthusiasts. This may possibly be the end of the manual transmission electric car, the hydrogen powered sports car, etc. I am so disappointed in his leaving.

Thank you Mr. Toyoda for all your efforts, you will sorely be missed And not forgotten!

@Jeonsa

#55 Ā·

Thank you Mr. Toyoda for all your efforts, you will sorely be missed And not forgotten!

@Jeonsa
He will remain chairman so all is not lost. Perhaps he wanted to step back from CEO duties so he can focus more on moderating this rowdy forum šŸ˜”

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.