Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know, but this isn't a limited edition McLaren. It's a Corolla. One that happens to check every box I have for the perfect daily driver, wet, dry, or snowy road car. I want a base core. Unfortunately they're all grouped together so guys in my situation will be boned by proxy.
it may not be a mclaren but its like a mclaren of the toyota lineup lol. yea understandable for sure, but yes because they decided to not only limit circuit and morizo editions but also the base core edition, they are all in the the same limited boat, just some more limited than others.

I would also assume that getting a bare bones core would be harder to get than one with some type of package as well because more people want the extras and its more profit for them.

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 2022 GR Supra, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
298 Posts
This ^

It's crazy, but I made a post with a similar suggestion in the GR86/BRZ forums and was banned for it. Lol
admins be dealership employees lol

Same here. I've got a little wiggle room if it's close, but if it's way over I'll get something used and then look for a used GRC in a couple years time.
This brought up a thought- I've joined a few Supra groups and they're always talking about dealer add-ons rather than markups. My deposit is with an MSRP only dealer, but I hadn't thought about them adding $1-3k of bs instead of a markup.

I'd probably deal with a grand or so, but once prices come out I'll actually need to determine a monetarily limit for this car. A couple grand of dealer bs plus taxes will put most GRCs over 40k, unless the base starts in the low low 30s.

·
Registered
266 Posts

This brought up a thought- I've joined a few Supra groups and they're always talking about dealer add-ons rather than markups. My deposit is with an MSRP only dealer, but I hadn't thought about them adding $1-3k of bs instead of a markup.

I'd probably deal with a grand or so, but once prices come out I'll actually need to determine a monetarily limit for this car. A couple grand of dealer bs plus taxes will put most GRCs over 40k, unless the base starts in the low low 30s.
If you are counting taxes and fees into account, adding Performance Package alone to a core will probably drive you over 40k.

·
Banned
940 Posts
I think it's common enough that people won;t care anyway. I know the lowest markup I could find at dealers near me in colorado was 10k. highest was 25k.
That's crazy... That means $50k for a core with PP at the cheapest. Yea, that would be a hard pass for me. I'll just pony up a few more K and get a manual supra, or if I must have an AWD hot hatch, I'll go grab a golf R.

·
Super Moderator
1,994 Posts
it may not be a mclaren but its like a mclaren of the toyota lineup lol. yea understandable for sure, but yes because they decided to not only limit circuit and morizo editions but also the base core edition, they are all in the the same limited boat, just some more limited than others.

I would also assume that getting a bare bones core would be harder to get than one with some type of package as well because more people want the extras and its more profit for them.
That’s a stretch but I get what you’re saying 😂

·
Registered
266 Posts
That's crazy... That means $50k for a core with PP at the cheapest. Yea, that would be a hard pass for me. I'll just pony up a few more K and get a manual supra, or if I must have an AWD hot hatch, I'll go grab a golf R.
Yea pretty much on the mark there 50k at a minimum locally. I am first on a list out of state and I did agree to a "reasonable" amount of ADM, but I will need to drive ~500 miles for it for the price to even be within reason for me to consider over another brand.

·
Banned
940 Posts

Yea "MSRP" only dealers can be sneaky with that kind of shit. My MSRP only dealer tries to include 2 add ONS to every car, which are some $300 "security" lug nuts and $500 tint. Fortunately, you can decline them both. I declined the lug nuts, but said they can tint it. Figured they are looking out for me, so I'll throw a dog a bone.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That’s a stretch but I get what you’re saying 😂
A stretch for sure, but in comparison to all other toyotas other than the supra I would say its a reasonable comparison. or maybe the supra is a mclaren and the grc is like a lotus lol.

That is why i absolutely HATE my 2007 camry. it feels like a grandpa car and I am trading it in toward the GRC. My plan is drive out of state with the camry and drive back with the GRC lol.

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 2022 GR Supra, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
298 Posts
If you are counting taxes and fees into account, adding Performance Package alone to a core will probably drive you over 40k.
Which I don't mind, but I don't want the dealer bs pushing it that high. As long as I'm getting value for it, but I don't want to be forced to pay $600 for a worthless PPF I'll remove and replace anyways. Nitrogen in tires, whatever other bs they try to tack on. Not that it matters right now, but just something to be aware of.

Yea "MSRP" only dealers can be sneaky with that kind of shit. My MSRP only dealer tries to include 2 add ONS to every car, which are some $300 "security" lug nuts and $500 tint. Fortunately, you can decline them both. I declined the lug nuts, but said they can tint it. Figured they are looking out for me, so I'll throw a dog a bone.
Oh yea, tint too. Security programs, additional insurances, all that stuff.

·
Registered
266 Posts
300 for lug nuts is a bit insane but if the tint is good I think 500 is a fair price for it. I just had my 4runner tinted with xpel prime plus and that was almost 600.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have owned a bunch of "desirable" cars in the past and have never paid an ADM or other markup. It is never a wise financial decision to enter ownership paying or worse owing more than MSRP. I have never seen any production car that continues to carry a premium after its initial fanfare.
It is kind of weird to be "on a list" for a car that we have only estimates on price and availability so far. The original guesstimate I heard was starting around $35K. I would consider up to $45ish to be comparable to its competition, more than that will have me thinking.
PS: my current ride is a '19 MK7.5 Golf R, bought at the end of the US run when there was trunk money to get rid of them.

·
Super Moderator
1,994 Posts
I have owned a bunch of "desirable" cars in the past and have never paid an ADM or other markup. It is never a wise financial decision to enter ownership paying or worse owing more than MSRP. I have never seen any production car that continues to carry a premium after its initial fanfare.
It is kind of weird to be "on a list" for a car that we have only estimates on price and availability so far. The original guesstimate I heard was starting around $35K. I would consider up to $45ish to be comparable to its competition, more than that will have me thinking.
PS: my current ride is a '19 MK7.5 Golf R, bought at the end of the US run when there was trunk money to get rid of them.
Type R still carried its premium well before Covid. Just comes down to availability and what people are willing to pay. We have a member on here that openly admitted he would pay well over MSRP. Lol. As long as those people do that the GRC can carry the same dealer stigma as the Type R.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I’m 1st on 2 lists and have been trying to keep my head on this, but def a good reminder that I prob needed lol.

As eager as I am to get one of these (taking a break from fun cars and driving an suv for the past 3 years is a big factor), I lean more and more to just waiting until the dust settles a little bit to see what I can find whether that’s msrp or a low mileage used one. Just doesn’t feel worth it especially with how crazy prices are all across the board lately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The markups are usually paid by those who simply cannot wait for something. The I must be first people that also happen to have the money. This car is filling a niche market, and sometimes people who like the car are blinded by the fact that you are only competing with a limited number of buyers anyway (unlike say a Rav4). A little patience will likely net you msrp or even better deals. I want a CE for the hood and roof (and maybe wing if it happens), but I also realistically know that it may not happen. A loaded Core a year down the road is fine and I can always get the hood/wing aftermarket. Don't forget Toyota may very well upgrade and put out something limited edition yet again a year or two down the road, which will make that special CE a not so special past edition later. Unless you are a collector speculating on long term value of special editions, its really not worth the extra output and stressing about it because all cars depreciate when you enjoy them by driving them.

·
Registered
282 Posts
(mods feel free to move this to the appropriate thread as I can't find the right one right now lol)

A lot of folks here have been adamant on getting a Circuit Edition for the exclusivity (and guaranteed Performance Package) but I personally don't see what the big deal is. I suspect Toyota will run a limited edition trim every year anyhow so I don't see the point in paying markup for that particular car (aside from bragging rights for being first).

·
Super Moderator
1,994 Posts
(mods feel free to move this to the appropriate thread as I can't find the right one right now lol)

A lot of folks here have been adamant on getting a Circuit Edition for the exclusivity (and guaranteed Performance Package) but I personally don't see what the big deal is. I suspect Toyota will run a limited edition trim every year anyhow so I don't see the point in paying markup for that particular car (aside from bragging rights for being first).
I’m not moving it because I agree 😂😂😂

I would even go further by saying some people are acting ridiculous about the whole thing in general.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts