Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
676 Posts
I interpreted this as after replacing the springs, cams, etc the next weakest link is the valves. All the videos i've seen like the one i posted above seem to damage the valves because something else broke on the valvetrain. Also, this is a duel overhead cam design therefore does not have pushrods correct? so when we say "rods" we really mean the valves. am I understanding this correctly?
I think they mean piston rods

·
Registered
49 Posts
I interpreted this as after replacing the springs, cams, etc the next weakest link is the valves. All the videos i've seen like the one i posted above seem to damage the valves because something else broke on the valvetrain. Also, this is a duel overhead cam design therefore does not have pushrods correct? so when we say "rods" we really mean the valves. am I understanding this correctly?
Nah he means the connecting rods. Apparently the shop doing the motor build in the OP has experience pushing the limits of the stock short block and found the rods are the weak link. I'm just asking at what power level do they become a problem

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’m enjoying this discussion; but I’m curious — how many of you have driven a manual sequential gearbox? I have driven one (Porsche GT3 Cup); it was insanely good on track. Super fast positive no lift shifts. And HORRIBLE in the paddock/driving around the access roads. Like, I’d want to slit my throat if I had to drive it around commuting/daily driving. Incredibly clunky/jerky loud nearly impossible to start and stop without either stalling of screeching tires. Also terrible ‘accordianing’ in the gears at low speeds. I’d recommend before dropping $10-15k+ on a manual sequential that you drive one around for a day or two first. They don’t make very good daily’s in my opinion.

·
Banned
333 Posts
I’m enjoying this discussion; but I’m curious — how many of you have driven a manual sequential gearbox? I have driven one (Porsche GT3 Cup); it was insanely good on track. Super fast positive no lift shifts. And HORRIBLE in the paddock/driving around the access roads. Like, I’d want to slit my throat if I had to drive it around commuting/daily driving. Incredibly clunky/jerky loud nearly impossible to start and stop without either stalling of screeching tires. Also terrible ‘accordianing’ in the gears at low speeds. I’d recommend before dropping $10-15k+ on a manual sequential that you drive one around for a day or two first. They don’t make very good daily’s in my opinion.
Very true.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I’ve driven several.

Also not buying this car for a daily. I don’t know why that’s the default answer for so many. Nah it’s my performance car in my fleet because it’s AWD and it doesn’t care about the weather. I can afford a Supra if I wanted but RWD is not as good in inclement weather and I prefer to send it year round.

This car to me does not make a good daily driver. Daily driving I want something that draws zero attention, is extremely fuel efficient, and cost effective. I get no joy from sitting in traffic in a performance car. Waste of miles to me but each to their own.

·
Super Moderator
990 Posts
I’ve driven several.

Also not buying this car for a daily. I don’t know why that’s the default answer for so many. Nah it’s my performance car in my fleet because it’s AWD and it doesn’t care about the weather. I can afford a Supra if I wanted but RWD is not as good in inclement weather and I prefer to send it year round.

This car to me does not make a good daily driver. Daily driving I want something that draws zero attention, is extremely fuel efficient, and cost effective. I get no joy from sitting in traffic in a performance car. Waste of miles to me but each to their own.
True, I drove some high performance vehicles, drift cars, etc.

this would be a weekend car, so doing a sequential gearbox would be no problem, it’s not going to be my daily, and remember, it’s my car.

·
Super Moderator
2,944 Posts
True, I drove some high performance vehicles, drift cars, etc.

this would be a weekend car, so doing a sequential gearbox would be no problem, it’s not going to be my daily, and remember, it’s my car.
Hey, we don’t care that it’s your car, we want you to drive what we want and get mods we like.

😭🤣

·
Super Moderator
2,944 Posts
Apparently it can only be a daily driver as well.
You're right.

It's a Corolla, not a 911.

You guys want a track toy/sports car you can go to your nearest Subaru dealer and get the Toyota BRZ for a couple grand over MSRP.

As far as the Corolla goes? The only modifications you guys can do is anything to make it RWDish (That way you can imagine yourself drifting everywhere) and engine mods to reach 400 hp. Maybe add a armrest.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts