Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just about every car over here is that silver colour, its a yawn fest and you cannot find your car in a huge carpark unless you practically save the GPS coordinates. Hopeless visibility on the road for safety as well.

Compared to white cars—the safest color for a vehicle, according to the results of this study—black vehicles are 12% more likely to be involved in a vehicular accident. Close behind are gray cars, which have a 11% higher risk, and silver cars, which have a 10% higher risk of an accident.

Yellow or Orange would be far and away the best colours.
Well I have good news for you my friend I believe you can get the GR Corolla CE in white.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I lived in Australia and I couldn't get a GR Corolla allocation my next choice for a Hot Hatch would be the GR Yaris and next a Hyundai i20N.
I like smaller cars, and the i20N looks like a blast to drive, and probably gets pretty good gas mileage.
I was just saying before if I decide not to get the GRC I would go for the i20N

·
Registered
45 Posts
The i20N or i30N looks great but its front wheel drive so no thanks.

I just signed up for a GR Corolla Circuit Edition. Dealer was happy to take all my details and more information will be known for our market in September 2022.

No deposit required here but they want to know where you live so I guess if you don't buy it they will come round and break your arm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Front wheel drive sucks. My first ever Ford was front wheel drive and you could spin the wheels in the dry with only a fraction of the power modern day cars have. Total rubbish. Then moved to a rear wheel drive MR2 it was great but things have really moved on in terms of wheels and brakes and it always had oversteer problems if you pushed it hard at the track.

AWD is the only way to go for our crappy roads. The drive mode is so easy to change just turn a knob, I love it no going through a load of menus on the display. I suspect my current Subaru is something like 70/30 but the option to just leave it in 50/50 sounds good to me.

Its GR Corolla is everything I ever wanted really except maybe the colour if I had been given a choice, but you never know and red would be my second choice anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The i20N or i30N looks great but its front wheel drive so no thanks.

I just signed up for a GR Corolla Circuit Edition. Dealer was happy to take all my details and more information will be known for our market in September 2022.

No deposit required here but they want to know where you live so I guess if you don't buy it they will come round and break your arm.
Is this a confirmed order or have you been added to the dealers list? The two dealers that I've spoken to in the BOP weren't interested in taking details.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No such thing as a "Confirmed Order" they have no idea how many we are even getting allocated and they don't know when. I would say that getting one is a total longshot to be honest, especially as the price could be off the charts. Not sure who you spoke to but I actually physically went into the dealer, sat down and spoke to them at length and yes they took all my details.

Not really in a total panic to get one, would rather they run for a couple of years and iron out all the teething troubles, the MR2 only got better over 10 years of production. My Subaru will easily do another 5 years and its probably 90% as good but I would love to get my hands on the "Perfect Car" to replace it.

·
Registered
15 Posts

More delicious speculation. I suspect that there would already be over 500 people in Australia who have put their name (and money) down, myself included. If Toyota do an online order system, I wonder if those who have already paid a deposit to their dealer take priority. Or would it be first-in, best-dressed for whenever the online ordering opens up? Would hate to miss out because of a bad internet connection.

·
Registered
4 Posts

More delicious speculation. I suspect that there would already be over 500 people in Australia who have put their name (and money) down, myself included. If Toyota do an online order system, I wonder if those who have already paid a deposit to their dealer take priority. Or would it be first-in, best-dressed for whenever the online ordering opens up? Would hate to miss out because of a bad internet connection.
The GR86 in the UK was online ordering only and it sold out within 90 minutes. They could well do the same thing in Australia and NZ.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The GR86 in the UK was online ordering only and it sold out within 90 minutes. They could well do the same thing in Australia and NZ.
Considering Toyota did this for another GR model, I anticipate we should be prepared to have to do the same. I also note that Subaru did online ordering for the BRZ, which was also 500 examples and took many weeks to sell.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why would you go from an Emira to a GRC?
Emira is track focussed and GRC will be my daily drive :cool: I also intend to get it out of loose surfaces on family farm and will be getting a spare set of dirt tyres and try to protect it as much as possible for stones, undertray/mudguards/ppf/snorkel

·
Registered
42 Posts
That is good news (if true) about dealers not being able to play the system. But the online ordering system seems like a bad way to go considering people's deposits were already accepted by dealers. There are going to be a lot of pissed of people, including me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Its a shame that Subaru dropped the STi because obviously a 350Hp-400Hp version of this which was easily achievable since 2018 and their "Concept Viziv" would have reduced demand for the GRC quite significantly and filled in the "Top end" of the market.

Subaru clearly dropped the STi so that the Toyota GRC had a huge demand, the timing was obvious.

It is inevitable that there will be a lot of pissed people, I was already pissed about the STi after waiting YEARS for it to have it suddenly cancelled.

Reality is that if I don't get this, something else will come along.

Manufacturers seem confused to me not really knowing what the market wants. Just about everyone has now bailed out of making a manual except Porsche and its suddenly left a big hole in the market. Hopefully they have discovered we are not all interested in just that 0-60 time with launch control.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Manufacturers seem confused to me not really knowing what the market wants. Just about everyone has now bailed out of making a manual except Porsche and its suddenly left a big hole in the market. Hopefully they have discovered we are not all interested in just that 0-60 time with launch control.
No truer words have been spoken

·
Registered
11 Posts
Manufacturers seem confused to me not really knowing what the market wants. Just about everyone has now bailed out of making a manual except Porsche
That's not entirely true. Hyundai and now Toyota are obvious exceptions and there still seems to be plenty of manual options floating around the supermini/city car market.
But I will recount one telling tale. I looked at buying a brand new WRX back in 2019 and there were no manual demo models available for me to drive... in NZ. So I had to put up with driving that abortion of a CVT. What a way to utterly ruin a perfectly good car - even a torque converter auto would've been a better choice for those who don't like to self shift. It's one of the reasons I didn't buy one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You have to admit that probably 80% of manufacturers have quit making a manual when it comes to wanting to buy that car your looking at.

So basically if you want an AWD, 6 Speed Manual in something half practical with really decent power at a price point you can actually afford there has basically been one car to chose from and it came from Subaru and even then they should have never quit the hatchback, the sedan was a bad move I don't want one really, I would rather buy a true STi wagon which is why even my 2004 Legacy is better than a new 2022 WRX.

There are numerous others that get close but they don't tick all the boxes, there is always something missing. These cars from Toyota are not really genius, its just they are always looking for holes in the market to fill and everyone else has bailed out of this market segment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not really in a total panic to get one, would rather they run for a couple of years and iron out all the teething troubles, the MR2 only got better over 10 years of production.
Only question is how are you going to get your hands on one in a couple years? Put your order down in a few months time and you could end up hundreds down the list, barring an MSRP that puts lots of people off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well the biggest problem with the GRC Circuit Edition is if they decide to only run it for 12 months of production. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. Some it may appear to be good because they get a "Unique car" that very few people have but for me I would be more worried about parts and ongoing support for it.

I think the the price could be a limiting factor. I'm bracing for the GR Corolla Circuit Edition to be as much as NZD$75K and I think that would kill it for most people with most of them dropping off the list like flies.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts