Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
In NZ the GRC Core will be $65K and the Circuit will be $70K. If the GRY is already listed at $60K then it will be give or take a thousand or two.

Plenty of people are going to drop off the list when they see the price.

I don't want an initial release anyway, plenty of problems get sorted a year or two later.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In NZ the GRC Core will be $65K and the Circuit will be $70K. If the GRY is already listed at $60K then it will be give or take a thousand or two.

I don't want an initial release anyway, plenty of problems get sorted a year or two later.
The prices for sports cars in both Australia and NZ are off the charts.
A 911 turbo is close to half a million dollars, really ridiculous and dare I say obscene.
My question is, do these very high automobile prices reflect that overall your incomes are that much higher than those in North America or Europe?
Just trying to get my head around a half-million-dollar 911 turbo in Australia, which sells for $174,300 in the USA.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
45 Posts
The minimum wage is currently NZD$21.20

Cars are not really the killer, out house prices are the killer. Our average house price is like NZD$1million.

You don't need a Porsche 911 Turbo but most people need a house to live in.

Of more relevance to the car market, here is the order of the most selling cars in NZ for 2021.

1. Ford Ranger, 12,580 registrations.
  2. Toyota Hilux, 8,430 registrations. ...
  3. Mitsubishi Outlander, 6,506 registrations. ...
  4. Toyota RAV4, 6,212 registrations. ...
  5. Mitsubishi ASX, 5,036 registrations. ...
  6. Mitsubishi Triton, 4,963 registrations. ...
  7. Toyota Corolla, 4,766 registrations ...
  8. Nissan Navara, 3,574 registrations...
  9. Tesla Model 3, 3,271 registrations ...
  10. Mazda CX-5, 3,128 registrations ...
Our market is totally dominated by SUV's and Utes. Our roads are totally rubbish you want 4WD and a car that doesn't have anything over 18inch wheels or the next pothole you hit will cost you a fortune.

Toyota have 3 models in the top 10. Its pretty obvious that if Toyota could meet demand with the GRC it would be in the top 5.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The minimum wage is currently NZD$21.20

Cars are not really the killer, out house prices are the killer. Our average house price is like NZD$1million.

You don't need a Porsche 911 Turbo but most people need a house to live in.

Of more relevance to the car market, here is the order of the most selling cars in NZ for 2021.

1. Ford Ranger, 12,580 registrations.
  2. Toyota Hilux, 8,430 registrations. ...
  3. Mitsubishi Outlander, 6,506 registrations. ...
  4. Toyota RAV4, 6,212 registrations. ...
  5. Mitsubishi ASX, 5,036 registrations. ...
  6. Mitsubishi Triton, 4,963 registrations. ...
  7. Toyota Corolla, 4,766 registrations ...
  8. Nissan Navara, 3,574 registrations...
  9. Tesla Model 3, 3,271 registrations ...
  10. Mazda CX-5, 3,128 registrations ...
Our market is totally dominated by SUV's and Utes. Our roads are totally rubbish you want 4WD and a car that doesn't have anything over 18inch wheels or the next pothole you hit will cost you a fortune.

Toyota have 3 models in the top 10. Its pretty obvious that if Toyota could meet demand with the GRC it would be in the top 5.
Are "utes" pickup trucks?
I would say for the past 30+ years the best selling vehicles in the USA have been pickup trucks by a large margin.
Ford F150, Chevy Silverado and Dodge Ram are on top.
With the topography of Australia I can see why trucks would make a lot of sense.
Not sure about Canada, I think the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and Camry are the top sellers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are "utes" pickup trucks?
I would say for the past 30+ years the best selling vehicles in the USA have been pickup trucks by a large margin.
Ford F150, Chevy Silverado and Dodge Ram are on top.
With the topography of Australia I can see why trucks would make a lot of sense.
Not sure about Canada, I think the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and Camry are the top sellers.
Utes are smaller versions of the F150. The F150 is a stupid big gas guzzling dinosaur that you could only afford to put gas in if you lived in the USA. You guys are complaining about the price of petrol now, just imaging if it went up THREE times in price, your F150's would be on the scrap heap.

Our premium petrol which is 98 is now NZD$3.03 a liter which is NZD$11.47 a US Gallon or equivalent to USD$7.35 a US gallon.

You couldn't afford to run an F150 over here.

If I bought a GRC it would probably be the last ICE car ever and give it 5 to 10 years its all going to go electric. I think we can expect to see some pretty hefty taxes coming in to try and get fossil fueled cars off our roads.

The fun is over guys and gals, its GRC or BUST.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Utes are smaller versions of the F150. The F150 is a stupid big gas guzzling dinosaur that you could only afford to put gas in if you lived in the USA. You guys are complaining about the price of petrol now, just imaging if it went up THREE times in price, your F150's would be on the scrap heap.

Our premium petrol which is 98 is now NZD$3.03 a liter which is NZD$11.47 a US Gallon or equivalent to USD$7.35 a US gallon.

If I bought a GRC it would probably be the last ICE car ever and give it 5 to 10 years its all going to go electric. I think we can expect to see some pretty hefty taxes coming in to try and get fossil fueled cars off our roads.

If I lived in Australia and I couldn't get a GR Corolla allocation my next choice for a Hot Hatch would be the GR Yaris and next a Hyundai i20N.
I like smaller cars, and the i20N looks like a blast to drive, and probably gets pretty good gas mileage.

·
Registered
89 Posts

My friend, no worries gas powered cars will be around for some time into the future.
Currently only 1% of the total vehicles on the road in the USA are electric.
No fear, ice cars will be around for many more decades.
Purple Font Violet Material property Magenta

·
Registered
45 Posts
What happens is you get a law change and very quickly your ICE car can become a museum piece or very expensive to put on the road. I give it 10 years before we begin to get taxed off the road.

The Hyundai i30 is very nice, problem is its FWD only or else it would have been an option. I refuse to drive a FWD car any more, no matter how fast they claim it goes round the Nurburgring.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Where did you hear this? I've spoken to two dealers and both wouldn't give prices. One told me to call again in September and another talked about the first cars arriving in NZ early 2023.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Where did you hear this? I've spoken to two dealers and both wouldn't give prices. One told me to call again in September and another talked about the first cars arriving in NZ early 2023.
I didn't hear about the pricing, I'm picking the price points. If the Subaru STi was NZD$65K new for the premium model, how are you going to sell the GR Corolla Core at any more than that ? You wouldn't want to pay any more than another $5K on top of that for a carbon roof and leather seats. If they try and sell it at more than NZD$75K you can forget it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I didn't hear about the pricing, I'm picking the price points. If the Subaru STi was NZD$65K new for the premium model, how are you going to sell the GR Corolla Core at any more than that ? You wouldn't want to pay any more than another $5K on top of that for a carbon roof and leather seats. If they try and sell it at more than NZD$75K you can forget it.
If the GRY is anything to go by, then they will price it reasonably low to start with. However if they have lots of interest already, then the figures you quote or even higher are more likely. Personally I think any figure starting with a 7 is too much.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If the GRY is anything to go by, then they will price it reasonably low to start with. However if they have lots of interest already, then the figures you quote or even higher are more likely. Personally I think any figure starting with a 7 is too much.
Its a funny market. Basically the "Kids" want one but cannot afford it and by the time you get to my age at 55 you have kind of outgrown your Toyota and are looking for a Euro car because you have the money to spend. If the AMG A45S was a manual and eliminated all the electronic touch screen type junk in it then I would have bought one by now.

The real positive is that perhaps other manufacturers will wake up if this is a huge success and bring back some of the old school cars that utilize modern materials to make them lighter and more powerful.

My motorbike is a classic example. Its 25% cheaper than it was in 1990, has 50% more power and 20% less weight. The advances in tech with titanium valves etc is just out of sight compared to the original GSXR750 from 1987.

Cars have gone the other way, they are now bloated with safety features and the weight has gone up and up. Overall cars have got really really boring unless you have hundreds of thousands to spend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just curious why you lucky guys in the land of Oz didn't buy the awesome GR Yaris?
If I had the chance to buy either the GR Yaris or the GR Corolla, I'd be all over the Yaris, smaller, lighter weight, looks better WRC homologation car, much more special.
I ordered one, waited for 8 months for it to arrive and then discovered my visa which I work on, as a medical consultant in an emergency department, didn't allow me to lease or get a car loan! It was sold from under my nose. I rewarded myself with a green Lotus Emira as consolation!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Yaris is to small. I want at least a medium sized car as I'm big and over 6 foot tall.

On another note, Toyota have advised rocking up to your local dealer in September 2022 when more information on pricing and colours will be announced.

I will definitely be looking seriously at a GRC as long as they don't go stupid on the pricing and don't offer only that metallic silver, I hate that colour for visibility on the road.

The timing will be good, I planned on a new car next year but if the GRC doesn't happen my current Subaru 3.0R will go another 5 years anyway until something else shows up. The GRC is really not that much better but it would be nice to buy my first ever new car and the fuel consumption should be better and they certainly look cool.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What happens is you get a law change and very quickly your ICE car can become a museum piece or very expensive to put on the road. I give it 10 years before we begin to get taxed off the road.

The Hyundai i30 is very nice, problem is its FWD only or else it would have been an option. I refuse to drive a FWD car any more, no matter how fast they claim it goes round the Nurburgring.

10 years maybe in Australia, but not in America.
The Yaris is to small. I want at least a medium sized car as I'm big and over 6 foot tall.

On another note, Toyota have advised rocking up to your local dealer in September 2022 when more information on pricing and colours will be announced.

I will definitely be looking seriously at a GRC as long as they don't go stupid on the pricing and don't offer only that metallic silver, I hate that colour for visibility on the road.

The timing will be good, I planned on a new car next year but if the GRC doesn't happen my current Subaru 3.0R will go another 5 years anyway until something else shows up. The GRC is really not that much better but it would be nice to buy my first ever new car and the fuel consumption should be better and they certainly look cool.
Funny, I actually want my GR Corolla CE in that Heavy-metal color, as I think it looks great, and is the best color for hiding dirt, dust and scratches.

·
Registered
45 Posts
10 years maybe in Australia, but not in America.

Funny, I actually want my GR Corolla CE in that Heavy-metal color, as I think it looks great, and is the best color for hiding dirt, dust and scratches.
Just about every car over here is that silver colour, its a yawn fest and you cannot find your car in a huge carpark unless you practically save the GPS coordinates. Hopeless visibility on the road for safety as well.

Compared to white cars—the safest color for a vehicle, according to the results of this study—black vehicles are 12% more likely to be involved in a vehicular accident. Close behind are gray cars, which have a 11% higher risk, and silver cars, which have a 10% higher risk of an accident.

Yellow or Orange would be far and away the best colours.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts