Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

2022 WRX

32K views 224 replies 37 participants last post by  4304 
#1 ·
#16 · (Edited)
Just heard from one of my sales managers that the new STi might not come for another 2 or 3 years. They want to test the waters with the WRX to see what people like and don't like and refine that with the STi. The STi is a big contender for me besides the GRC because while I very much prefer a GRC, my work gives money off your monthly lease based on how long you've worked there and that coupled with the employee discount makes it much nicer of a payment than if I was to get an STi as just a customer

#17 ·
I mean I’m sure the WRX is being released sooner than later as it is Subaru’s flagship.

Something people won’t admit regardless of the look of the car is the WRX has a solid reputation throughout the years. With recent reviews on the new regular WRX being good, I can only imagine how sorted a STi is

#18 ·
Oh yeah, regardless of the look it seems to be getting great reviews and is a big improvement performance wise over the previous gen. I think Subaru right now is just playing around with how they want it the STi to look and if they really want to make 400hp right now. The 2.4T can definitely take it as it's a well built motor but I'm sure they're trying to balance the experience with a good torque curve and good power to weight

#20 ·
I'm sure a big thing is the styling of the new one. It's very controversial despite the car in general just being better than the out going one. The no increase in power also is disappointing people. I'm personally not considering it as I absolutely hate the iPad for a radio and the fact that Subaru infotainment isn't great. That and the fact that I think Subaru has lost their charm and rally hertiage, the WRX is more sport car than rally car now to me. I'm hoping the new STi revives some of that spirit but no one really knows much about the next STi, not even dealers

#23 ·
I feel like whenever Subaru brings out a new Impreza/WRX, fanboys always complain about it, then in 5 years, they're like "This is the purest driver's car out there. Anyone who says anything bad about it is just jealous."

I can live with the wheel arches, and my wife has an Outback with a big infotainment that I'm not a huge fan of, but we mostly use AA or Carplay anyway. The only thing that I really dislike about it is the rear bumper/diffuser thing. It's a little too much.

#24 ·
I think for the money the WRX is still the best bang for the buck. Still 270 hp, 250 torque at around 28k. Compared to the competition that’s pretty good.

The STi was always a great alternative to the Type R too without as much markup everywhere.

One thing I was telling my wife is we all know the GRC launch is gonna be rough and markups are inevitable. With that I know for a fact some people will get turned off and buy a STi or WRX.

#33 ·
I never owned the previous gen but I've driven many of them in WRX and STi form. Even drove the Type RA a few times and the S209. S209 definitely didn't feel $70k but I'm sure this new gen is going to drive a lot better. I'll be shocked if they eventually do a S210. I just wish they did like a more rally-inspired edition. All the editions have just been exclusive colors with black badges other than the RA which was just a small kit but more track focused

#40 ·
The last STi was basically 3500lbs and I'm pretty sure the FA24 will be lighter than the EJ25 so it'll be interesting if it stays in the 3400-3500lb range or if they take some weight savings into account and make it lighter. I bet it'll keep the same weight since they're boosting the power substantially

#48 ·
WRX has become large but that's partly due to the fact it isn't an Impreza anymore but even the Impreza got big. Bit sad they got rid of the Crystal White Pearl in favour of the limted edition Ceramic White since I love pearl paints. Plus the Ceramic White was exclusive to the WRX and STi Series.White and BRZ tS

#52 ·
At the end of the day, the WRX is just your fun daily and the STi is the real track car. They aren't quite Legacy size yet, however the body is definitely not Impreza sized anymore but they made that clear when they dropped the Impreza name in 2015. The WRX has been going towards a different car since then and it's very evident now

#53 · (Edited)
I mean they separated the name to focus more on the whole performance aspect while keeping the Impreza as a tame get around car.

Them moving to a global platform is more for saving money and simplifying build processes. Everybody working with Mazda has pretty much adopted the whole global platform idea. (Skyactiv, TNGA, SGP)

Downside is the WRX is going to inherit some qualities from its suv mates.

Despite that it still dynamically manages to stay in the same realm as the Golf and upcoming GRC which is applauded. My friend is pretty excited for the car, he wanted a AWD sporty car that can hold a small family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.