Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
121 - 135 of 135 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Right? I heard rumors that they were not comfortable trying to squeeze 400hp out of the FA24, so they canned the STi. Judging by the power people are putting down with them, maybe suby will reconsider.
It was cancelled due to the car not meeting emission goals and the fines costing more than what they could make selling the STI.

· Super Moderator
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Right? I heard rumors that they were not comfortable trying to squeeze 400hp out of the FA24, so they canned the STi. Judging by the power people are putting down with them, maybe suby will reconsider.
Sure thing Tronic....I mean Sonic...🙄
There was a STI essentially ready to release around the time the GRC and Type R dropped, that’s why the sudden STI cancellation was crazy.

Considering how disappointed people were by first driving impressions of the GRC, if the STI would’ve dropped with 330+, LSD standard and so on?

Completely different launch I think.

· Registered
351 Posts
Ehh... Pulling the pan and cleaning out the pickup is easy. Reseal and never have to worry about it again.
I think in that IG post somewhere they mentioned timing cover removal is necessary.

Also, everyone seems to think that it's RTV from the pan. In that post, they are showing all the RTV on the pan like it was the culprit. Which means it's still on the pan and couldn't have been sucked up into the pickup, since it was all still intact on the pan. Wonder if it's from the timing cover or something.

· Registered
08 STI / 85 CB650SC Nighthawk (kinda cafe)
179 Posts
Ehh... Pulling the pan and cleaning out the pickup is easy. Reseal and never have to worry about it again.
Signs of pretty heavy RTV application on the case halves and upper oil pan as well. You can see a lot of the RTV overuse on RallySport Direct's video on their YT channel. I'm leaning towards an initial clean out after 5-10k miles being sufficient and not much will come off after that though. But if you're the type to try to keep a warranty, this would 100% stop me from doing any mods.

· Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,154 Posts
@Tokyotexan might want to take it back off the list. Somewhere else on this forum someone revealed that that are STILL dealing with RTV clogging oil pickups on these new fa24s.

http://instagr.am/p/Cm7YySsOKDZ/
Haven't seen one with any issues at my work yet. We have a Solterra in with issues already but haven't seen any new WRX's in for anything except oil changes.

I think in that IG post somewhere they mentioned timing cover removal is necessary.

Also, everyone seems to think that it's RTV from the pan. In that post, they are showing all the RTV on the pan like it was the culprit. Which means it's still on the pan and couldn't have been sucked up into the pickup, since it was all still intact on the pan. Wonder if it's from the timing cover or something.
Yes. The pickups in a lot of the newer Subie engines sit behind the timing covers and require you to remove the cover to get to the 2 bolts that hold the pickup to the upper oil pan

· Registered
141 Posts
Test drove one of these today. Haven’t driven The GRC yet but compared to my 2018 Mazda 3 6MT: steering feel wayyyy more numb. Kind of surprising. Shifter feels much cheaper/tinny and less smooth. Overall interior quality much lower. Obviously a lot faster, and flatter in the corners. Brake pedal feels atrocious. All the reviews mention it but man it is terrible. Feels like pushing into a firm bucket of play dough or something. If the GRC comes close to the shifter and steering feel of my Mazda I’ll be very happy, if it’s closer to WRX I’ll be bummed.

· Registered
GRC Core, IS300, Civic Sport 1.5T
54 Posts
Test drove one of these today. Haven’t driven The GRC yet but compared to my 2018 Mazda 3 6MT: steering feel wayyyy more numb. Kind of surprising. Shifter feels much cheaper/tinny and less smooth. Overall interior quality much lower. Obviously a lot faster, and flatter in the corners. Brake pedal feels atrocious. All the reviews mention it but man it is terrible. Feels like pushing into a firm bucket of play dough or something. If the GRC comes close to the shifter and steering feel of my Mazda I’ll be very happy, if it’s closer to WRX I’ll be bummed.
Yup, I had a similar experience with the 22 WRX. The main complaint from me is the deadass steering, it feels like my grandmother's Camry.
The shifter is somewhat similar is character - they're both notchy but I really like the GRC shifter. Good news, the GRC steering is much sharper than the Mazda 3 (12.7:1 vs 14:1).
The brakes are also firm and linear.

· Registered
141 Posts
Yup, I had a similar experience with the 22 WRX. The main complaint from me is the deadass steering, it feels like my grandmother's Camry.
The shifter is somewhat similar is character - they're both notchy but I really like the GRC shifter. Good news, the GRC steering is much sharper than the Mazda 3 (12.7:1 vs 14:1).
The brakes are also firm and linear.
That tracks with reviews. The steering in the WRX is quick, no vagueness on center or anything and nicely weighted, probably quicker than my Mazda, but just the feel of it was totally numb. Maybe that’s a new car thing but my Mazda isn’t that old

· Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,154 Posts
That tracks with reviews. The steering in the WRX is quick, no vagueness on center or anything and nicely weighted, probably quicker than my Mazda, but just the feel of it was totally numb. Maybe that’s a new car thing but my Mazda isn’t that old
Think it's a combo of the electronic power steering coupled with the ratio the WRX uses and the suspension tuning. To me the 22 feels quite watered down against the competition

121 - 135 of 135 Posts