Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
101 - 102 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
08 STI / 85 CB650SC Nighthawk (kinda cafe)
30 Posts
I'm very interested to see what people do with modding these things and how far the FA24 can be pushed compared to the EJ257. Can't wait to see people basically building their own VB STi
The limiting factor to the new WRX is 100% going to be the trans. There are a couple 2.4 swapped cars (from the ascent and outback that use the same motor) that show really solid power numbers at 400+ with simpl bolt ons, but both the WRX 6 speed and the CVT can’t handle that much. And with losing the STI (and subsequent supply of used STI transmissions), a trans swap is going to only get harder and more expensive.

I also don’t really expect anything exciting from Subaru in the future. To me, this is probably one of the last semi-exciting things to come from them. Their push into more off road development like their wilderness models shows where they’re putting their money because it’s probably more profitable and more approachable by customers than performance.

I’d definitely welcome a next gen hybrid STI if it could stay true to the old ethos of the STI, but I have a feeling that it’s going to be quite a bit different, if it even happens. As much of a raw gear head that I am, I am also a big supporter of electric cars and saving the planet. I just think that realistically the car that I would want couldn’t be made for under 60-70k.

Had a quick drive in my friend’s car and noticed a lot of the same things as well.
What color is the one you’re driving? Pictures would be awesome!
It’s a white premium model. I didn’t take any photos, but I’ll grab some on Monday!

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
The limiting factor to the new WRX is 100% going to be the trans. There are a couple 2.4 swapped cars (from the ascent and outback that use the same motor) that show really solid power numbers at 400+ with simpl bolt ons, but both the WRX 6 speed and the CVT can’t handle that much. And with losing the STI (and subsequent supply of used STI transmissions), a trans swap is going to only get harder and more expensive.

I also don’t really expect anything exciting from Subaru in the future. To me, this is probably one of the last semi-exciting things to come from them. Their push into more off road development like their wilderness models shows where they’re putting their money because it’s probably more profitable and more approachable by customers than performance.

I’d definitely welcome a next gen hybrid STI if it could stay true to the old ethos of the STI, but I have a feeling that it’s going to be quite a bit different, if it even happens. As much of a raw gear head that I am, I am also a big supporter of electric cars and saving the planet. I just think that realistically the car that I would want couldn’t be made for under 60-70k.
Yeah I know the FA24 is really built well internally over the EJ motors but I'm curious to see how much more you can get out of it. I know a lot of people with 600hp+ EJ motors but they have like $25k+ into those things. I'll also be interested to see how the CVT does now because we've had multiple CVT VA WRX's with holes in the block because of the CVT acting up but we all know those won't really hold any power.
I wonder if the VA STi trans would fit right up to the FA24 and whether people will be going that route

101 - 102 of 102 Posts