Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

· Registered
08 STI / 85 CB650SC Nighthawk (kinda cafe)
179 Posts
I'm very interested to see what people do with modding these things and how far the FA24 can be pushed compared to the EJ257. Can't wait to see people basically building their own VB STi
The limiting factor to the new WRX is 100% going to be the trans. There are a couple 2.4 swapped cars (from the ascent and outback that use the same motor) that show really solid power numbers at 400+ with simpl bolt ons, but both the WRX 6 speed and the CVT can’t handle that much. And with losing the STI (and subsequent supply of used STI transmissions), a trans swap is going to only get harder and more expensive.

I also don’t really expect anything exciting from Subaru in the future. To me, this is probably one of the last semi-exciting things to come from them. Their push into more off road development like their wilderness models shows where they’re putting their money because it’s probably more profitable and more approachable by customers than performance.

I’d definitely welcome a next gen hybrid STI if it could stay true to the old ethos of the STI, but I have a feeling that it’s going to be quite a bit different, if it even happens. As much of a raw gear head that I am, I am also a big supporter of electric cars and saving the planet. I just think that realistically the car that I would want couldn’t be made for under 60-70k.

Had a quick drive in my friend’s car and noticed a lot of the same things as well.
What color is the one you’re driving? Pictures would be awesome!
It’s a white premium model. I didn’t take any photos, but I’ll grab some on Monday!

· Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,154 Posts
The limiting factor to the new WRX is 100% going to be the trans. There are a couple 2.4 swapped cars (from the ascent and outback that use the same motor) that show really solid power numbers at 400+ with simpl bolt ons, but both the WRX 6 speed and the CVT can’t handle that much. And with losing the STI (and subsequent supply of used STI transmissions), a trans swap is going to only get harder and more expensive.

I also don’t really expect anything exciting from Subaru in the future. To me, this is probably one of the last semi-exciting things to come from them. Their push into more off road development like their wilderness models shows where they’re putting their money because it’s probably more profitable and more approachable by customers than performance.

I’d definitely welcome a next gen hybrid STI if it could stay true to the old ethos of the STI, but I have a feeling that it’s going to be quite a bit different, if it even happens. As much of a raw gear head that I am, I am also a big supporter of electric cars and saving the planet. I just think that realistically the car that I would want couldn’t be made for under 60-70k.
Yeah I know the FA24 is really built well internally over the EJ motors but I'm curious to see how much more you can get out of it. I know a lot of people with 600hp+ EJ motors but they have like $25k+ into those things. I'll also be interested to see how the CVT does now because we've had multiple CVT VA WRX's with holes in the block because of the CVT acting up but we all know those won't really hold any power.
I wonder if the VA STi trans would fit right up to the FA24 and whether people will be going that route

· Registered
306 Posts
IAG added an STi Wing to their WRX. At first I thought, it's growing on me, but then I realized that it's just looking more like the previous gen (which I don't really like), instead of doing something new with it.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,154 Posts
IAG added an STi Wing to their WRX. At first I thought, it's growing on me, but then I realized that it's just looking more like the previous gen (which I don't really like), instead of doing something new with it.
View attachment 2372
View attachment 2371
Yeah I don't think the previous gen STi wing works well with the lines

· Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,154 Posts
Yeah, I feel like what they've done to it just kind of emphasizes how big the entire car is and how small the lights and everything else on the car is.
Yeah the headlights are so strange. Especially in the side view, you can see how tiny they are relative to the rest of the car

· Registered
2 Posts
I haven’t read a single post in this thread so I’m likely repeating what has already been said, but as a fan of sports/performance cars, I’d be remiss had I not said anything. The new (ish) WRX was a disappointment, primarily in looks and virtually no additional power. While it’s better to drive and there’s some improvements in the structure, suspension, etc., when a manufacturer debuts a new halo-type car, great looks and more power are a given are often the biggest selling points. That said, only three more hp and looks best described as “Oooooff, what were the thinking, given the concept looked so good”, won’t set any new WRX sales records. That, and the bar raised with more high performance ICE competition now than ever. Who would’ve thought it in today’s EV-obsessed world? The GRC offers about 11/10ths of what the WRX offers, in looks, power and probably performance too, plus it’s a Toyota so it’ll be more reliable than a Scoobie, and it’s a hatch (Yeah!!!), and it’s better looking, and…

· Super Moderator
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I haven’t read a single post in this thread so I’m likely repeating what has already been said, but as a fan of sports/performance cars, I’d be remiss had I not said anything. The new (ish) WRX was a disappointment, primarily in looks and virtually no additional power. While it’s better to drive and there’s some improvements in the structure, suspension, etc., when a manufacturer debuts a new halo-type car, great looks and more power are a given are often the biggest selling points. That said, only three more hp and looks best described as “Oooooff, what were the thinking, given the concept looked so good”, won’t set any new WRX sales records. That, and the bar raised with more high performance ICE competition now than ever. Who would’ve thought it in today’s EV-obsessed world? The GRC offers about 11/10ths of what the WRX offers, in looks, power and probably performance too, plus it’s a Toyota so it’ll be more reliable than a Scoobie, and it’s a hatch (Yeah!!!), and it’s better looking, and…
WRX is a Si fighter, not a GRC fighter for the most part. Until the STI returns in some form or fashion. Main point of this thread is a affordable alternative to the GRC since people magically want the Corolla to be 30k.

· Banned
Suzuki GSXR750L7 Legacy 3.0R 6MT
351 Posts
The WRX is very poor in the engine department now. You can see why people expected to get 400Hp out of the 2.4 litre 4 cylinder Boxer when Toyota can get 300Hp out of a 3 cylinder 1.6 litre.

Do the math add another cylinder and take the Toyota engine to 2.2 litre and boom you have 400Hp.

I wasted years waiting for the new STi with all what turned out to be fake news in the end.

My hope is that we get enough of the GR Corolla CE over here.

· Super Moderator
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
The WRX is very poor in the engine department now. You can see why people expected to get 400Hp out of the 2.4 litre 4 cylinder Boxer when Toyota can get 300Hp out of a 3 cylinder 1.6 litre.

Do the math add another cylinder and take the Toyota engine to 2.2 litre and boom you have 400Hp.

I wasted years waiting for the new STi with all what turned out to be fake news in the end.

My hope is that we get enough of the GR Corolla CE over here.
Wasn’t fake news apparently they have a STI but something happened with emissions and regulations that made them axe the whole thing and start all over.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
The new WRX has officially been put back onto my plan B list! The power numbers that car is pushing with just bolt ons , E30, and a tune (ever since the AP was released a few months back) is simply staggering.. So far the engines are holding up. Saw one guy pushing close to 500ft lb TQ after getting a AP pro tune. The trans is even holding up contrary to what people were claiming...
Hopefully Subaru offers an option for painted flares for the MY23 model...

· Super Moderator
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
The new WRX has officially been put back onto my plan B list! The power numbers that car is pushing with just bolt ons , E30, and a tune (ever since the AP was released a few months back) is simply staggering.. So far the engines are holding up. Saw one guy pushing close to 500ft lb TQ after getting a AP pro tune. The trans is even holding up contrary to what people were claiming...
Makes you wonder what the STI was like before they canned it

· Registered
306 Posts
Yeah, the engine is impressive, but I still just don't really like it. I don't think Subaru is getting rid of the cladding any time soon. If you look at their rally car and endurance racer, they kept them on. Especially with the endurance racer, you can tell STi really wanted to get rid of them, but Subaru made them keep some semblance of them on their car even though the fenders were completely replaced.

· Registered
141 Posts
Dealers are already discounting them and offering super low APR’s for them. There’s a blue one near me for 1500 off MSRP. A little tempting at nearly 9k less than the GRC, but the lack of being a hatchback, even worse fuel economy that the GRC, and no adaptive cruise will probably have me sticking with the GRC

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Yeah, the engine is impressive, but I still just don't really like it. I don't think Subaru is getting rid of the cladding any time soon. If you look at their rally car and endurance racer, they kept them on. Especially with the endurance racer, you can tell STi really wanted to get rid of them, but Subaru made them keep some semblance of them on their car even though the fenders were completely replaced.
I didn't say get rid of them per say, just offer an option for paint matched ones.

101 - 120 of 135 Posts