Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Well you also know those same people bitching for the hatch won't even buy one for the most part 馃槀
You would think though that a hatch would be more successful in the era of crossovers tier wise. Especially over a small compact sedan.

Hatchback
Crossover (small/mid)
Crossover (full)
SUV/Truck

then sprinkle in a mid size sedan in between the small/mid cross and the full sized.

But they know more then me anyways.

Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
This thread is starting to blend with the other one 馃槀. Insert my comment about a hatch from the other thread lol

Banned
Wagon and hatchback is like a bad word now. It's all about "crossovers".
All those are, are hatchbacks with lift kits, and old man seats. They鈥檙e still hatches.

Minivians are bad ass too. They aren鈥檛 more popular here because people are fake, image type people with frail sensibilities.

Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
All those are, are hatchbacks with lift kits, and old man seats. They鈥檙e still hatches.

Minivians are bad ass too. They aren鈥檛 more popular here because people are fake, image type people with frail sensibilities.
Nothing makes that more obvious than the Crosstrek. Literally an Impreza hatch with a lift. I've seen many of them lowered and I just think to myself, "why didn't you buy an Impreza?"
I've seen some sick builds of minivans as well. I'd never drive one but people have done amazing things with them. The Previa of course being one of the coolest minivans

Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
I forgot they made front-engine AWD versions. I'm so used to the manual SC mid-engine, RWD layout

Registered
I really want to see a test with the new CVT. All of the reviews I've seen or read are with the 6 speed, which makes sense since they're mostly enthusiast reviews, but if the CVT is as good as Subaru claims it to be, they should really have journalists testing it.

Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
I think the journalists are able to test the CVT soon. I'm just hoping that Subaru learns from the feed back for a higher performance trim for the WRX or just improving all trims

Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
Still don't like how far the rear sticks out and the tiny headlights but this definitely makes it look way better. Very Legacy-looking for sure but I'd prefer it looks like the Legacy over the Crosstrek 馃槀

Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300

Registered
08 STI / 85 CB650SC Nighthawk (kinda cafe)
Wanted to come in and give my thought on the 22 WRX after driving it for a week.

First off, I don鈥檛 care that much about the looks. As a Subaru-born enthusiast, ugly cars are just our thing. I鈥檝e been around long enough to see everyone hate when the new generation is announced and then within a year they sell more and get modified and then everyone forgets that they were 鈥渦gly鈥. I think it will be the same with the 22.

I should also mention, the 15-21 is my least favorite generation. I鈥檝e had a GC (STI swapped, wide body, carbon roof, JDM everything else), GD (05 STI), GR (current daily 08 Hatchback), and we have a company owned 2018 WRX that I have a substantial amount of seat time in. The 2018 is the worst. It鈥檚 still fast, but it鈥檚 very numb compared to the other cars. Terrible throttle, steering, brakes. The engine is peaky and runs out of steam at the top. To me it鈥檚 the final departure from a raw 鈥渞ace car for the streets鈥 into full family sedan.

The 22 WRX VB feels very similar to the VA, but it did fix some things.

The new 2.4 is phenomenal. Boost is active from like 2500RPMs, and it鈥檚 extremely smooth power nearly up to redline. There鈥檚 a little bit of rev hang, but nothing like the VA was. It鈥檚 significantly easier to drive, and even though in paper they have similar peak power levels, the VB is no question faster with more power under the entire curve. If I were to go back and do an engine swap in an older Subaru, I would 100% choose this 2.4 over the older EJ.

The car is a tad easier to control in a curve. Initial suspension R&D says that the only major change is the sway bars and spring rates, but it is noticeable. Steering does feel slightly improved, but nothing to write home about. Brakes don鈥檛 feel any different. Shifter / trans feels the same. Interior is nice, but I personally don鈥檛 love Subaru鈥檚 infotainment system. It鈥檚 a little laggy and I鈥檓 a staunch 鈥済ive me good carplay and android auto support and ignore everything else鈥 supporter. The steering wheel is also weirdly shaped, almost triangular / flat outer ring instead of round. It鈥檚 uncomfortable to hold the wheel along the entire top half of the wheel.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts. Feel free to ask me any specific questions about the car, I still have access to it and can drive it or take photos of anything.

If rumors are true, I probably would have 鈥渓iked鈥 the 22/23 STI with this engine and the traditional 6 speed, brembos, and hydraulic steering, but I still am hoping that the GRC is what I鈥檓 really after. If not, I鈥榣l probably keep my hatchback STI around, because I do love that car.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Wanted to come in and give my thought on the 22 WRX after driving it for a week.

First off, I don鈥檛 care that much about the looks. As a Subaru-born enthusiast, ugly cars are just our thing. I鈥檝e been around long enough to see everyone hate when the new generation is announced and then within a year they sell more and get modified and then everyone forgets that they were 鈥渦gly鈥. I think it will be the same with the 22.

I should also mention, the 15-21 is my least favorite generation. I鈥檝e had a GC (STI swapped, wide body, carbon roof, JDM everything else), GD (05 STI), GR (current daily 08 Hatchback), and we have a company owned 2018 WRX that I have a substantial amount of seat time in. The 2018 is the worst. It鈥檚 still fast, but it鈥檚 very numb compared to the other cars. Terrible throttle, steering, brakes. The engine is peaky and runs out of steam at the top. To me it鈥檚 the final departure from a raw 鈥渞ace car for the streets鈥 into full family sedan.

The 22 WRX VB feels very similar to the VA, but it did fix some things.

The new 2.4 is phenomenal. Boost is active from like 2500RPMs, and it鈥檚 extremely smooth power nearly up to redline. There鈥檚 a little bit of rev hang, but nothing like the VA was. It鈥檚 significantly easier to drive, and even though in paper they have similar peak power levels, the VB is no question faster with more power under the entire curve. If I were to go back and do an engine swap in an older Subaru, I would 100% choose this 2.4 over the older EJ.

The car is a tad easier to control in a curve. Initial suspension R&D says that the only major change is the sway bars and spring rates, but it is noticeable. Steering does feel slightly improved, but nothing to write home about. Brakes don鈥檛 feel any different. Shifter / trans feels the same. Interior is nice, but I personally don鈥檛 love Subaru鈥檚 infotainment system. It鈥檚 a little laggy and I鈥檓 a staunch 鈥済ive me good carplay and android auto support and ignore everything else鈥 supporter. The steering wheel is also weirdly shaped, almost triangular / flat outer ring instead of round. It鈥檚 uncomfortable to hold the wheel along the entire top half of the wheel.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts. Feel free to ask me any specific questions about the car, I still have access to it and can drive it or take photos of anything.

If rumors are true, I probably would have 鈥渓iked鈥 the 22/23 STI with this engine and the traditional 6 speed, brembos, and hydraulic steering, but I still am hoping that the GRC is what I鈥檓 really after. If not, I鈥榣l probably keep my hatchback STI around, because I do love that car.
Had a quick drive in my friend鈥檚 car and noticed a lot of the same things as well.
What color is the one you鈥檙e driving? Pictures would be awesome!

Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
Some of our salesmen just had a track day with the WRX and BRZ. They noted how much better the VB performs and feels over the VA and after driving it myself, it's not perfect but a welcomed improvement. A lot of them are very doubtful of Subaru doing any sort of real performance package with it though but we'll see. I'm very interested to see what people do with modding these things and how far the FA24 can be pushed compared to the EJ257. Can't wait to see people basically building their own VB STi

Reactions: Jeonsa
81 - 100 of 102 Posts