Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Cool. Ask him/her why they haven’t updated their AWD system in 25+ years ;)
You can ask him yourself if you want, he’s in the thread. Lol. Like I said this isn’t a bash thread, just talking about the car.

If people get the car at 32k, it’s a good sporty AWD car for those who want one at a decent price. Especially in areas that get all seasons.

Only thing that throws me off is the cladding. Even Subaru knows that stuff will fade and look worst.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Do some of you here seriously trust the rumours about the upcoming WRX STI having around 400 hp?
I don’t but I also believe they’ll do more with the STi then the regular WRX. The STi has to deal with some heavy hitters with the Type R and Golf R.

The previous gen gets narrowly beat by the Type R in head to heads too with fwd.

I’m guessing it could match the new Type R in power but I couldn’t really tell you what that is. 400 seems off though. Maybe 350?

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
I’m not concerned with the weight really. My GR and RS were of similar weight and it was never something that concerned me much. Not even on track. The drivetrain is much more significant on the GRC. The LSD’s as well as being able to shift power around in the 3 modes. The WRX has neither.

And I think the GRC will make more power than the WRX as well. 30 more HP. The GRY makes something like 278 to the wheels on the dyno therefore is severely underrated from the factory. Then there is the size difference between them. The GRC will handle better. Redline is higher in the GRC as well.

You may be comparing both of these cars but I see massive differences to the point the WRX is not even comparable. Not for my money.
We are only comparing the two as that is exactly what the marketing team will do for both cars. We had a little display back in 2018 that compared the Type R, Veloster N, GTI, GR, RS, WRX and STi all on the same board even though they are not all comparable. The GRC is going to be compared to the WRX and all cars in the segment whether you think it should or not. Just like the other cars in the segment, it's a hot version of a commuter car and at under $40k, it'll be compared to the likes of the Elantra N, WRX, GTI, Veloster N, etc
Do some of you here seriously trust the rumours about the upcoming WRX STI having around 400 hp?
I trust it only as that is what the salesman here have heard. The STi is basically being completely reborn. After 25 long years, the EJ has finally been retired in favour of the FA24 and it is going global platform with a new manual trans

·
Registered
102 Posts
Getting smoked by a Hyundai of a similar segment, I don't really Hyundais and Kias but they have really improved a lot from what they used to be not that long ago, whereas Subaru decided to stay almost stagnant in areas that should see proper improvements and change certain things mostly just for the sake of making it appear different.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
Getting smoked by a Hyundai of a similar segment, I don't really Hyundais and Kias but they have really improved a lot from what they used to be not that long ago, whereas Subaru decided to stay almost stagnant in areas that should see proper improvements and change certain things mostly just for the sake of making it appear different.
Subaru is a very safe brand. They don't take many risks and it makes sense because they're still kind of a small brand. They don't have the large car lines like some of the other manufacturers to take the risks and it really shows at times.

Reactions: Jeonsa

·
Registered
‘15 Ford Fiesta ST
163 Posts
I wish Hyundai came out with an AWD version of that powertrain. Even if it cost in the high 30s that would be fine by me. The new WRX is just such a let down in so many departments.
To be honest at this point the Corolla is my only hope.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Subaru is a very safe brand. They don't take many risks and it makes sense because they're still kind of a small brand. They don't have the large car lines like some of the other manufacturers to take the risks and it really shows at times.
Yeah most Japanese brands are conservative. Only reason why the GRC is blowing up is because Toyota hasn’t made a car like this (or the Yaris) in about 15 years.

Outside of Lexus of course.

Korea was trying their best to improve quickly which they have.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I wish Hyundai came out with an AWD version of that powertrain. Even if it cost in the high 30s that would be fine by me. The new WRX is just such a let down in so many departments.
To be honest at this point the Corolla is my only hope.
Odd thing is Hyundai does okay in rally to warrant a street version.

I would love to see a car called the Rally 1 from them.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
Odd thing is Hyundai does okay in rally to warrant a street version.

I would love to see a car called the Rally 1 from them.
They have a street version, it just isn't AWD 😂. With current rally regulations though, you don't really need a crazy homologation like the GRY so it's unlikely sadly. The Veloster and i20 N's sell well as FWD so there's not much need for an AWD variant unless they just want to please a few people

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
Yeah I know haha. They probably could do it if they wanted to and pull it off well

61 - 80 of 102 Posts