Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
I've heard carbon deposits are a big issue on the GRY, is that true? I thought the whole point of D4S was keeping the valves clean and other Toyota motors have been great lately

·
Registered
125 Posts
So it looks like the low oil pressure came on during cornering. In my experience this is due to low oil level. When you corner the oil sloshes to the outside wall of the oil pan and if you're already low on oil then the amount the oil pickup sees is less.

It can pick up air instead of oil which will cause a low oil pressure reading. He should check his oil level, otherwise he may end up with engine damage. It's happened to me before and resulted in spun crank bearings, entirely my own fault for not keeping a closer eye on my oil level.
Or poor oil pan design. My buddy popped the motor in his WRX on a track with a long high speed corner. The oil pan baffles tray prevented sufficient oil return to the pan…apparently the STI has a different pan with more openings for oil return.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Or poor oil pan design. My buddy popped the motor in his WRX on a track with a long high speed corner. The oil pan baffles tray prevented sufficient oil return to the pan…apparently the STI has a different pan with more openings for oil return.
Yeah mine was a WRX was well, it's really not meant for track use, the STI is.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
What year was it? The VA WRX/STi have completely different motors and the pans are completely different(with basically no baffles on the STi)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
@MCG1983 When you're shifting do the revs jump? When I watch some track videos of the gr yaris and they go to shift, especially upshifting, the revs will jump from say 6800 to 7100 after they clutch in. At first I thought it might just be the driver keeping their foot on the gas for a second too long, but most if not all track videos I see it doing this. I feel this may be an annoyance for me? Hard to say.

3:10 and 12:37 showcase what I mean, watch the revs jump at clutch in.
No the rev's don't jump when shifting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Seems like from the comments, it's just the high oil temps that cause the warning to go off. Some of the other commenters thought it was the sensor itself which the OP had replaced by the dealer. Basically can be solved by an oil cooler and a different thermostat to keep temps down
I've never experienced these sorts of issues.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's a long shot hope, but I'm really hoping that the aftermarket releases a set of mirror similar to my FoST. It has a little mirror built in to the primary mirror that lets you actually see your blind spot. I'm sure the sensors are just as good, if not better than me, but I feel better being able to actually see my blind spot than I do trusting a computer.
I hate that type of mirror. If you adjust your side mirrors the correct way you will have no blind spots. You don't need to see the side of the car and have the same view from all 3 mirrors. The side and rear view mirrors should create a seamless view of cars behind and to the side of you. Maybe this will help.

·
Banned
12 Posts
I've heard carbon deposits are a big issue on the GRY, is that true? I thought the whole point of D4S was keeping the valves clean and other Toyota motors have been great lately
True, on regular driving conditions it's recommended- not enforced- cleaning under 50,000 km - depending on the gas octane / catch can etc, but service will check and clean when needed. Guys tracking it I heard cleaning was recommended by service guy- not mandatory - @ 30,000km to extend engine life

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
True, on regular driving conditions it's recommended- not enforced- cleaning under 50,000 km - depending on the gas octane / catch can etc, but service will check and clean when needed. Guys tracking it I heard cleaning was recommended by service guy- not mandatory - @ 30,000km to extend engine life
Yeah I work at a Subaru dealer and we reccommend a carbon cleaning service at 15k miles which is a bit less than 30k km. But it is a problem for the G16 then by the sounds of it

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
Yeah I work at a Subaru dealer and we reccommend a carbon cleaning service at 15k miles which is a bit less than 30k km. But it is a problem for the G16 then by the sounds of it
Sounds like the very first mod I'm doing on my GRC is an Oil Catch Can. I've cleaned the valves on my ST twice, and that was twice too many.

121 - 140 of 151 Posts