Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
1) The paint is extremely soft on these cars and is very prone to stone chips and scratches. Full PPF is recommended. People in UK that opted for no PPF regret it now. PPF should be applied to any forged carbon roof anyway, or it will deteriorate over time.
That's the case(thin paint) with ALL Japanese cars compared to European ones. I am not sure but I believe the American brands are approaching the car painting process the same as Japanese one thin layer vs 3 layers approach with Europeans - at least that's what a guy working in body paint shop told me
Edit : For non-Luxury Japanese and American I believe he said

·
Registered
'88 JZXA70; '16 86; '20 J29
44 Posts
I think you'll find that money shifting at that speed with or without iMT will have the same effect. The overrev is mechanical by overspinning the engine via the transmission, not done by the ECU attempting to blip the throttle.
. Likely whoever is blaming it on iMT did a money shift with partial/full clutch release and doesn't want to admit it.
Yeah, I don't get why this is a big deal here. I haven't heard of this on any other platform, new or old. Learn your shifter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Common? - Probably not on a daily driven GR Yaris.

But I’ve read about it happening multiple times now on tracked GRY.
I'm hoping there are fixes for these issues, the GRfour overheating and now this low oil pressure. Guessing an engine and diff oil cooler would solve them. Man the GR86 seems like a car you could turn lap after lap on. I need to figure out my priorities. Can't really figure out which I prefer at the moment.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm hoping there are fixes for these issues, the GRfour overheating and now this low oil pressure. Guessing an engine and diff oil cooler would solve them. Man the GR86 seems like a car you could turn lap after lap on. I need to figure out my priorities. Can't really figure out which I prefer at the moment.
F**k priorities. Go for the GRY if you can. You won’t regret it. YOLO.

·
Super Moderator
422 Posts
It really comes down to how practical you want the car to be, and how much you care about an "all toyota" car. I want the GRC over the GR86 because it's got more storage room, usable back seats for my dogs and probably better MPG. The GR86 is a close second in my eyes, though. Granted, if I can't get a GRC, I'm stuck between a GR86 and a V8 manual Mustang as my secondary options.

As for overheating, they said at the reveal that they'd increased airflow to the diff to help with that. The exhaust also sits a little further from the diff, which was part of the problem in the GRY.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
I'm sure based on what they learned with the GRY, it's either fixed in the GRC or will be fixed in the next year models. Maybe even recalls to add or change things to make it better hopefully

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another area of concern:

So it looks like the low oil pressure came on during cornering. In my experience this is due to low oil level. When you corner the oil sloshes to the outside wall of the oil pan and if you're already low on oil then the amount the oil pickup sees is less.

It can pick up air instead of oil which will cause a low oil pressure reading. He should check his oil level, otherwise he may end up with engine damage. It's happened to me before and resulted in spun crank bearings, entirely my own fault for not keeping a closer eye on my oil level.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So it looks like the low oil pressure came on during cornering. In my experience this is due to low oil level. When you corner the oil sloshes to the outside wall of the oil pan and if you're already low on oil then the amount the oil pickup sees is less.

It can pick up air instead of oil which will cause a low oil pressure reading. He should check his oil level, otherwise he may end up with engine damage. It's happened to me before and resulted in spun crank bearings, entirely my own fault for not keeping a closer eye on my oil level.
Agreed, but the way it kept beeping made me think that it still had low/no pressure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agreed, but the way it kept beeping made me think that it still had low/no pressure.
That's a good point, I'm not sure how the low oil pressure indicator works. It may just keep beeping for a period of time after the fault is found regardless of whether the pressure has recovered or not. At the end we see the error message persists on the dash as it should.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts

Seems like from the comments, it's just the high oil temps that cause the warning to go off. Some of the other commenters thought it was the sensor itself which the OP had replaced by the dealer. Basically can be solved by an oil cooler and a different thermostat to keep temps down

·
Registered
63 Posts
@MCG1983 When you're shifting do the revs jump? When I watch some track videos of the gr yaris and they go to shift, especially upshifting, the revs will jump from say 6800 to 7100 after they clutch in. At first I thought it might just be the driver keeping their foot on the gas for a second too long, but most if not all track videos I see it doing this. I feel this may be an annoyance for me? Hard to say.

3:10 and 12:37 showcase what I mean, watch the revs jump at clutch in.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
@MCG1983 When you're shifting do the revs jump? When I watch some track videos of the gr yaris and they go to shift, especially upshifting, the revs will jump from say 6800 to 7100 after they clutch in. At first I thought it might just be the driver keeping their foot on the gas for a second too long, but most if not all track videos I see it doing this. I feel this may be an annoyance for me? Hard to say.

3:10 and 12:37 showcase what I mean, watch the revs jump at clutch in.
My FJ does the same from time to time. It's not a constant thing but it is a pain

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
Not trying to be an hole but just wanted to share some info. RPM is already plural. Adding an s at the end makes it revolutions per minutes which doesn’t add up.
I've heard RPMs, MPGs, etc all my life. Can't seem to find definite information on if you can have plural acronyms which contain a plural but plural acronyms are a thing afterall

·
Registered
368 Posts
If we're trying to be pedantic...

If we're treating the acronym as an object, RPMs wouldn't be "rotations per minutes", but multiple "rotations per minute"s.

For example, a list of RPMs.

In the original context of "You want to vary your rpms", I think both works. At the very minimum, it is not confusing and easily understood.

This was a waste of energy though, lol.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts