Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
217 Posts
I've seen other Toyotas come with a sheet that breaks down the estimated running costs of the car based on the maintenance intervals listed in the manual and the cost of those services. So you've got a rough $x.xx/km estimate of your running costs.

Has anyone seen something like that for the GRY to give us an idea for the GRC?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Thanks for providing all this good info.
Do you think this is realistically achievable on a daily basis? or did you REALLY have to try hard to get this gas mileage? Most of my commute daily is 45-60mph in cruise control so hoping to be able to average close to 30mpg(US). no spirited driving really, except maybe some extra acceleration going home from work lol.

If it really is only getting 25mpg(US) on a daily basis under normal driving I may have to look harder at other options

For me, part of the appeal of this car is still being able to get decent gas mileage. I am definitely hoping to be able to get 28+mpg combined and 30+ highway(most of my commute is highway anyway).
I don't think that 40.1 mpg is achievable on a daily basis no. I think 60mph in 6th gear cruising is pretty much the most economical way you can possibly drive in any car and will return the highest mpg possible.

I'm going to be honest and say that of you want good mpg, these cars might not be the best option. The GR Yaris is a genuine rally homologation designed to win competitions, the reason for the small 1.6, 3 cylinder engine is for weight purposes only, nothing to do with achieving good mpg.

The Corolla is heavier than the Yaris and will burn even more fuel to accommodate the extra power as well, so expect lower mpg.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't think that 40.1 mpg is achievable on a daily basis no. I think 60mph in 6th gear cruising is pretty much the most economical way you can possibly drive in any car and will return the highest mpg possible.

I'm going to be honest and say that of you want good mpg, these cars might not be the best option. The GR Yaris is a genuine rally homologation designed to win competitions, the reason for the small 1.6, 3 cylinder engine is for weight purposes only, nothing to do with achieving good mpg.

The Corolla is heavier than the Yaris and will burn even more fuel to accommodate the extra power as well, so expect lower mpg.
Thanks. It is something I will have to consider. The only other car I am relly looking hard at right now is the 2022 RS3. I think daily driven they get around 30mpg average if not pushed hard. 80% of my daily commute is 45-60mph cruising luckily.

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
217 Posts
I've seen other Toyotas come with a sheet that breaks down the estimated running costs of the car based on the maintenance intervals listed in the manual and the cost of those services. So you've got a rough $x.xx/km estimate of your running costs.

Has anyone seen something like that for the GRY to give us an idea for the GRC?
Answering my own question, I did find this: https://www.gr-zoo.com/threads/gr-yaris-regular-maintenance-plan.430/

It seems to alternate between £165 and £375 services each year/6000mi ($204 and $460 USD). Averaging that out you're looking at $332 USD per year or $0.055/mi USD or $0.043/km CAD in maintenance. At least for the first 4 years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
Thanks. It is something I will have to consider. The only other car I am relly looking hard at right now is the 2022 RS3. I think daily driven they get around 30mpg average if not pushed hard. 80% of my daily commute is 45-60mph cruising luckily.
Please remember this when you make your decision. The GR Yaris absolutely destroys the RS3 in the corners. I think the Corolla will be no different.

Also, check out number 8 on this list. Having worse mpg comes with it's perks...

Top Gear’s Top 9: cars that were secretly faster than claimed | Top Gear

·
Registered
63 Posts
The RS3 uses a haldex system does it not? I believe only the newest 2023 model they may have changed it...? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I couldn't imagine going for a 5 cylinder engine then using haldex. Crazy. They should have done a RWD based system like the porsche macans have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've never really understood the nanny "bed in" process. Every race engine I've had, I've warmed her up and then drove it like I stole it. Never had anything but amazing life from solid driving on doing that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
The RS3 uses a haldex system does it not? I believe only the newest 2023 model they may have changed it...? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I couldn't imagine going for a 5 cylinder engine then using haldex. Crazy. They should have done a RWD based system like the porsche macans have.
The new RS3's have ditched Haldex for an RS Torque Splitter, still can't keep up with the GR-Four system in the corners though. Well not the ones I've came across anyway...

·
Registered
86 Posts
The new RS3's have ditched Haldex for an RS Torque Splitter, still can't keep up with the GR-Four system in the corners though. Well not the ones I've came across anyway...
True. I would imagine that the Yaris would handle better mostly because of its size. The primary appeal for me in the GR is for sure the AWD system but I think the corolla would be more similar in size to the RS3 and that 5cyl can put out a ton of power. a couple bolt ons and a tune and they are at 550hp.

On another note, just curious if you feel the GR also holds up to toyota's reliability reputation? That is one of the main reasons I bought a 4runner; i figured it will last forever with proper maintenance and another reason I am excited for the GR Corolla. I am hoping it can be tuned to 400whp as a reliable daily(not beaten on of course).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Now imagine an RS3 with rwd based awd like bmws xdrive or porsche. Thatd be such a sweet car.
If it would be RWD biased I think it would defeat the purpose since those Audi's are not meant to be be full blown sports cars and meant to be driven all year. That is my main reason I stopped considering a current gen GTR and BMW was not even a consideration. As a 4 season daily it would handle poorly in the snow with a lot of power, even with snow tires.

The new RS3 can be rear biased though with the new system and has a drift mode as well. But at least the torque split can be controlled similar to GR four.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I’m an Audi guy at the core (have a C5 allroad 2.7T), but the RS3 is in a different ballpark than the GRC. I know we don’t have pricing on the GRC but the RS3 starts at 57k, while we all expect the GRC to start mid-30s topping mid 40s. Hard to say I’d still be interested in the GRC if they were priced comparably…100 more hp, and surely a far superior interior.
That said, one of the reasons I’m interested in the GRC is the manual transmission. All these fancy transmissions may be faster but the manual is more enjoyable and that’s what it’s all about.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I’m an Audi guy at the core (have a C5 allroad 2.7T), but the RS3 is in a different ballpark than the GRC. I know we don’t have pricing on the GRC but the RS3 starts at 57k, while we all expect the GRC to start mid-30s topping mid 40s. Hard to say I’d still be interested in the GRC if they were priced comparably…100 more hp, and surely a far superior interior.
That said, one of the reasons I’m interested in the GRC is the manual transmission. All these fancy transmissions may be faster but the manual is more enjoyable and that’s what it’s all about.
it is in a different ballpark for sure, but I would say there are different considerations in why i consider the GR over it. The lower price of the GR corolla actually does help its case as I feel it may be a better bang for the buck. I priced out an RS3 yesterday with the options I would want and it comes out to about 66k which isn't too bad for what you get but I may opt for an audi exclusive color if I order one which may be a bit more. I am after a circuit GRC and figure with some markup it would be just under 50k. i think if it exceeds 50k before taxes I will pass and get the RS3 because the prices will start getting close enough its not as much of a bargain.

I do think the GR four AWD system is great and will perform amazing on the track and for daily driving year round with the LSD's. AWD vs AWD I do think the GR four system will be superior. I like the 3cyl and think it can produce great power for its size and I was hoping would also be more economical gas-wise. I also think Toyota's are generally very reliable and it should be able to take more power without issue from the videos Motive did.

Do you have any comparison thoughts on the 2?

·
Registered
42 Posts
In regard to the GRY: How annoying is the lack of forward visibility because of the big rear-view mirror and box behind it? (That almost seems like it would be a deal-breaker for me (but I haven't driven one).

And how have you found the higher seating position?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
In regard to the GRY: How annoying is the lack of forward visibility because of the big rear-view mirror and box behind it? (That almost seems like it would be a deal-breaker for me (but I haven't driven one).

And how have you found the higher seating position?
Depends on your height. The visibility is perfect for me, I'm 5'9. I dismissed anybody that criticised the driving position as being too high as talking absolute rubbish and accused them of just saying it to follow the trend of what everybody else was saying. That was until my brother in law drove my car and the mirror was clearly obstructing his view, even with the seat in it's lowest position.

We have established in the Yaris groups that if you're 5'10 or under, the driving position is amazing and the mirror is fine, no different from any other car. If you're over 6 foot, you are probably going to dislike it, You can either lower the seats using aftermarket subframes, or you can modify the mirror to sit it higher.

With regards to the view out the rear-view mirror, its a very small window and you would struggle to reverse park without the rear camera. The rear camera is amazing though, very easy to use and makes reverse parking easier than any car I have ever driven before.

However, I don't think that any of these things are an issue in the GR Corolla. From the videos I've seen online, the driving position is much lower and the mirror should not cause an issue for anybody, regardless of height, also the back window is larger. Please remember that the Yaris is a homologated rally car, rally cars are designed to have a higher seating position because it's designed so that the driver and co-driver can easily scan the road ahead. The Corolla is developed as a road car only, so I'm confident that you will not get any of the driving position, mirror, rear view issues that people experience in the Yaris.

This was a video I made when I first got the car, I do talk about and try to demonstrate driving position, but at the time, I couldn't comprehend how different it would be for a taller person.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Depends on your height. The visibility is perfect for me, I'm 5'9. I dismissed anybody that criticised the driving position as being too high as talking absolute rubbish and accused them of just saying it to follow the trend of what everybody else was saying. That was until my brother in law drove my car and the mirror was clearly obstructing his view, even with the seat in it's lowest position.

We have established in the Yaris groups that if you're 5'10 or under, the driving position is amazing and the mirror is fine, no different from any other car. If you're over 6 foot, you are probably going to dislike it, You can either lower the seats using aftermarket subframes, or you can modify the mirror to sit it higher.

With regards to the view out the rear-view mirror, its a very small window and you would struggle to reverse park without the rear camera. The rear camera is amazing though, very easy to use and makes reverse parking easier than any car I have ever driven before.

However, I don't think that any of these things are an issue in the GR Corolla. From the videos I've seen online, the driving position is much lower and the mirror should not cause an issue for anybody, regardless of height, also the back window is larger. Please remember that the Yaris is a homologated rally car, rally cars are designed to have a higher seating position because it's designed so that the driver and co-driver can easily scan the road ahead. The Corolla is developed as a road car only, so I'm confident that you will not get any of the driving position, mirror, rear view issues that people experience in the Yaris.

This was a video I made when I first got the car, I do talk about and try to demonstrate driving position, but at the time, I couldn't comprehend how different it would be for a taller person.

I'm 5'10 so that's great to hear. I'm actually in Australia and am looking at getting a GRY if the GRC doesn't work out. We're only getting 500 GRCs so there's a good chance I'll miss out.

·
Super Moderator
421 Posts
Well if break-in is 620 miles, I guess it's a good thing that I've already mapped out a 550 mile road trip for the first weekend I have the car.
Generally you want break-in miles to be normal driving. Mostly cause that includes cranking the engine and turning it off again. 550 miles straight is less effective. Lol

·
Registered
2017 VW GTI
33 Posts
Generally you want break-in miles to be normal driving. Mostly cause that includes cranking the engine and turning it off again. 550 miles straight is less effective. Lol
If I try to do "normal driving," I won't hit the break-in period for quite a while. I bike to work a good amount (and even when I do drive, it's like 10 miles round-trip) and where I get the most miles is when I plan out a road trip. Most things I need are also walking distance (grocery store, even a freaking Best Buy).

81 - 100 of 133 Posts