Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,545 Posts
What kinda freaky logic is that? The extra weight of the torsens is just the cost of doing business.

Now turn on your expert mode and tell me two gr yaris, all with the same wheels and tires, one with the addition of torsens, how much "significantly faster" it would be on the track? At least give us a ballpark figure, 5%, 10%?

You kept on saying you're done arguing but can't help trying to get the last word in. 😂
Let's keep this nice and civil, and keep it polite. Yes, MCG isn't really providing any factual evidence that a GRY with CP is better than a GRY that's the exact same but without LSD's but you could be a lot more calm and polite with asking for such evidence. Clearly from his first message, he didn't have the right information for it and it should've been left at that. MCG should've instead said that the CP is definitely worth it over the normal for track times but like you've said: the wheels and tires add a lot to that advantage. Just try to reel the aggression back a little and remind yourself that we are on the internet. If any aggressions continue, a warning could result

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I assume the lane assist uses cameras to "see" the lanes? What happens if you put tape over the cameras or just unplug them?

I don't want any of that stuff, including pre-collision system, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alert, hill start assist, radar cruise control, lane departure alert, lane tracing assist, steering assist, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,545 Posts
So I assume the lane assist uses cameras to "see" the lanes? What happens if you put tape over the cameras or just unplug them?

I don't want any of that stuff, including pre-collision system, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alert, hill start assist, radar cruise control, lane departure alert, lane tracing assist, steering assist, etc., etc., ad nauseum.
Unplugging any saftey systems will just cause the light to go but if you're in an accident and the insurance company finds out you tampered with safety systems, there will be consequences. If you just cover the cameras, I think it'll just blare alerts at you. I also don't want the systems but I'm fine with turning them off everytime I drive them

·
Registered
59 Posts
The iMT is off by default, not on. Lane keep assist is mostly annoying when you try to switch lanes without indicating imo. To turn it off on the GR, you have to hold a button down on the steering wheel for about 4 seconds, but you have to let the infotainment system and dashboard boot up before it lets you toggle it on or off, so it's a bit annoying.
OK, same as current Corolla HB, then. The lane keep assist just forces good indicator usage. ;)

Strange that you have to hold a button. I'll have to check to see how my Corolla handles it. IIRC, my lane keep defaults to what it was when the car was turned off. It could be a regional thing, too, where the US just holds the setting and Europe requires you to defeat it each time. From what I recall, the collision warning also remembers the setting for US Toyotas. I recently drove a Sienna from the work fleet to Canada and had to turn them all back on because the last driver disabled all of them. I personally think the ADAS are decent on modern Toyotas.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,545 Posts
OK, same as current Corolla HB, then. The lane keep assist just forces good indicator usage. ;)

Strange that you have to hold a button. I'll have to check to see how my Corolla handles it. IIRC, my lane keep defaults to what it was when the car was turned off. It could be a regional thing, too, where the US just holds the setting and Europe requires you to defeat it each time. From what I recall, the collision warning also remembers the setting for US Toyotas. I recently drove a Sienna from the work fleet to Canada and had to turn them all back on because the last driver disabled all of them. I personally think the ADAS are decent on modern Toyotas.
In a lot of cars I've driven, it always resets when you get back into the car, especially Subarus. You have to hold down buttons that turn off front collision and lane keep

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most dyno sheets you'll see are when the intake has been replaced alongside GPF/cat removals. Its the GPF/cat removal that has caused the power increase. I can assure you that the intake has not made a blind bit of difference. I know of four genuine tuners who have done extensive testing and who can back this up including Motive and String Theory.
Huh, that's interesting but not surprising. On turbo cars the biggest limiter is typically exhaust flow so that makes total sense. Okay, so go with the cheapest intake possible then to get the sweet turbo noises, but don't bother going whole hog on a carbon intake because its just snake oil.

God we're so lucky the GRY has already provided so many learnings for us.

·
Registered
284 Posts
All the safety systems are annoying af. I had a shit ton of them on my M2C and hated it.

Sometimes you just want to get in and drive. But no, you gotta f*** around with buttons to turn things off constantly.

It’s madness. While it may not seem like a big deal to some, it will eventually bother most. I had to turn off DSC to disable rev matching, turn off lane assist, turn off auto start/stop, turn off collision warning, and acknowledge some bullshit warning on the iDrive screen before it let me see anything.

Just kill me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Somebody build a time machine so I can go back to the simple days. Get in, start, and drive away. No computers interfering with anything. ABS and power steering/windows is probably the cutoff point.

Then came all the nonsense, including back up cameras, infotainments with 10 speakers, TPMS and other crap, all in the name of safety. I’ve driven for 25 years without a backup camera. Why do we suddenly need one on a sports car? - I realize most of us have become fat and lazy, but does that mean we can’t twist our necks anymore?

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,545 Posts
All the safety systems are annoying af. I had a shit ton of them on my M2C and hated it.

Sometimes you just want to get in and drive. But no, you gotta f*** around with buttons to turn things off constantly.

It’s madness. While it may not seem like a big deal to some, it will eventually bother most. I had to turn off DSC to disable rev matching, turn off lane assist, turn off auto start/stop, turn off collision warning, and acknowledge some bullshit warning on the iDrive screen before it let me see anything.

Just kill me.
I very much agree. It's why I wish the Safety Sense was an option package instead but they need to meet safety standards so we're basically boned with new cars anymore. It's what I liked about the last gen STi but now the WRX gets the safety tech and there is no STi. Like you've said, some might not see it as a big deal but it is a massive bother

Reactions: 007

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
What kind of driving do you mostly do? Do you romp on it often, mostly drive city, etc? Just asking because Car and Driver said they got 28.6 mpgs average, and this is a US based car report, so that'd be 30+ mpgs on your side of the world.

Edit: Just saw AutoExpress and EVO, European Mags, say 34 and 34.3 mpgs, respectively. Perhaps you drive the car as its meant to be driven. Props!
Just to add to this. I did a 1 hour journey today and used cruise control set to 60 mph the whole way there and the whole way back. I averaged 40.1 mpg.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza Wagon > 2004 WRX Wagon > 2015 Focus ST, all in red. And the FWD was a mistake.
19 Posts
Just to add to this. I did a 1 hour journey today and used cruise control set to 60 mph the whole way there and the whole way back. I averaged 40.1 mpg.
So, I guess it's about 33.4 US mpg. And my ballpark guesstimate of GRC highway mpg could be around 30. That's not bad. Surely it's better than my ST which gets around 24-27.

And @MCG1983, thank you for your initial write up and answering questions here. I've been enjoying them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In a lot of cars I've driven, it always resets when you get back into the car, especially Subarus. You have to hold down buttons that turn off front collision and lane keep
I checked on my Corolla today. The blind spot monitoring and lane keep assist stay on or off based on the condition when the vehicle was turned off. The pre collision system, though, has to be turned off each time the car starts up.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,545 Posts
I checked on my Corolla today. The blind spot monitoring and lane keep assist stay on or off based on the condition when the vehicle was turned off. The pre collision system, though, has to be turned off each time the car starts up.
Hopefully the GRC is the same then. Turning one button off constantly is definitely a lot better

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for providing all this good info.
Do you think this is realistically achievable on a daily basis? or did you REALLY have to try hard to get this gas mileage? Most of my commute daily is 45-60mph in cruise control so hoping to be able to average close to 30mpg(US). no spirited driving really, except maybe some extra acceleration going home from work lol.

If it really is only getting 25mpg(US) on a daily basis under normal driving I may have to look harder at other options

So, I guess it's about 33.4 US mpg. And my ballpark guesstimate of GRC highway mpg could be around 30. That's not bad. Surely it's better than my ST which gets around 24-27.

And @MCG1983, thank you for your initial write up and answering questions here. I've been enjoying them.
For me, part of the appeal of this car is still being able to get decent gas mileage. I am definitely hoping to be able to get 28+mpg combined and 30+ highway(most of my commute is highway anyway).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hopefully the GRC is the same then. Turning one button off constantly is definitely a lot better
JMO, but I’d leave the pre-collision system on when daily driving. It’s really not obtrusive (or maybe I just keep proper following distance and drive defensively ) and we all make the occasional mistake. Plus the light that comes on to indicate that the system is off is really distracting.

I don’t even notice the blind spot light anymore. The mirrors are pretty sizable, so if they are adjusted correctly, I see the car approaching my blind spot way before the sensor triggers. Rear cross traffic is something I’d like to have because to the proliferation of big trucks and SUVs, but I mostly back in — where allowed — to deal with that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
414 Posts
JMO, but I’d leave the pre-collision system on when daily driving. It’s really not obtrusive (or maybe I just keep proper following distance and drive defensively ) and we all make the occasional mistake. Plus the light that comes on to indicate that the system is off is really distracting.

I don’t even notice the blind spot light anymore. The mirrors are pretty sizable, so if they are adjusted correctly, I see the car approaching my blind spot way before the sensor triggers. Rear cross traffic is something I’d like to have because to the proliferation of big trucks and SUVs, but I mostly back in — where allowed — to deal with that problem.

It's a long shot hope, but I'm really hoping that the aftermarket releases a set of mirror similar to my FoST. It has a little mirror built in to the primary mirror that lets you actually see your blind spot. I'm sure the sensors are just as good, if not better than me, but I feel better being able to actually see my blind spot than I do trusting a computer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's a long shot hope, but I'm really hoping that the aftermarket releases a set of mirror similar to my FoST. It has a little mirror built in to the primary mirror that lets you actually see your blind spot. I'm sure the sensors are just as good, if not better than me, but I feel better being able to actually see my blind spot than I do trusting a computer.
I think those mirrors, and the RAV4 side mirrors that do the same, only exist because people insist on having the side of their car visible in their side view mirrors. That’s how I was taught to adjust my mirrors when I started driving. I read this article a decade ago, adjusted my technique, and haven’t had blind spots since.

Properly adjusted, the mirrors on the Corolla HB are easily big enough to eliminate the blind spot.

61 - 80 of 132 Posts